Sequenced images as texture map

donatodonato Posts: 22
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So my video editing software will save video as numbered jpgs. So I used them for the backdrop in the scene and I used them as a texture on a box. You can slide through the video with the little play in the texture box and it moves fine in the tiny window. But when I render the video, only the first frame is used over and over again.
Using Carrara 8.5 pro
Jpg size 1920 x 1080.

Is there some special setting I'm missing?

Should the numbered jpg's be numbered a certain way?

Should I use a different format?

Anyone?

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I always make my renders in Targa seq. but if I want to use an animated seq. in the texture room, I compil it in uncompressed .avi and that works fine.
    I don't know if an image seq. can be ok, never tried...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Try going to the end of your timeline and enter the shader. Now scrub the playback feature to the end of the sequence (or avi works too) .

Now, if your animation is three seconds long, for example, and the animated texture only runs for one second, you can make the texture anmation repeat itself using the "Oscillate" tweener set to 'Sawtooth' and the correct number of oscillations, in this example: three. his means three times total, not one time through plus three, making it very simple to set up.

I have had some issues with trying to run too many animated textures in the same scene. At least I think that was the issue. So for a lot of this sort of thing, we need to come up with compromises, perhaps by running layers of renders for the same shot. I'm thinking of doing a video tutorial on some of this stuff too.

edited December 1969

Try going to the end of your timeline and enter the shader. Now scrub the playback feature to the end of the sequence (or avi works too) .

I believe that we need to add a keyframe to initiate the shader becoming animated.
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I believe that we need to add a keyframe to initiate the shader becoming animated.

With an .AVI file, it's automatic, no need to add a keyframe.

edited December 1969

Something else worth mentioning along these lines:

Carrara and avi files/sequence image files that it renders
    If you've saved an avi from the render room you can reopen that avi in the render room and save it into a sequenced images file. Note that I've only ever made "Full Frames" avi saves. For me, compression (use of codecs) is for final productions, but has no value to me for initial rendering. I need to keep those frames in their raw render state to ensure higher quality post work and production work in the Movie software. Anyways, I'm not sure if the trick I mention above works if you've saved the avi using a codec. However, I'm certain that, if your first save was a sequenced image file, you will be able to save to a compressed avi from opening it in Carrara and performing a new Save As.

I have been told over and over that Sequenced image files are the better option. Personally, I like the neatness of having a single file which contains all of the images. Just easier on me. Howler opens either type, and what you get inside Howler is the same regardless of the file type. Then the result may also be saved to any of those formats. I don't think that my Sony Movie HD software can open sequenced image files. At least not without miserable work-arounds.

There are times when I wish to make an animation render for use as an animated brush via png or tga with alpha. That is when I (so far) I only have the option of saving as sequenced png or tga. This works great for making animated effects which can be placed into a backdrop for a render, or over the render to bring it in front of the action. Howler's animated brush Timeline tool is awesome for that! Instead of having to paint onto each frame (which can be easily done - hold down Alt and start painting across the frames with a simple click and drag) we can set keyframes for the brush's location, scale, and rotation as well as other factors like brightness, hue, and more. Then just render that to the new result. Very cool stuff!

edited December 1969

With an .AVI file, it's automatic, no need to add a keyframe.Cool!
    Still, if I saw it sticking to the single frame during a render, I would set that keyframe as my first troubleshoot. ;)