PhilW Realistics Seas

ScotsmanScotsman Posts: 9
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Looking for some help.

I am using PhilW Realistic Sea objects but having significant problems.

I can load the objects which takes a long long time, but when I try and rotate my view Cararra hangs.

Are these terrains so large that my system will not handle.

My machine has a pretty good specification and I do not usually have problems with Cararra.

Thanks in anticipation

Scotsman

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

I had a similar problem that PhilW helped me out with. Try changing the display of the sea from "mesh" to "bounding box". I don't remember if you select the top level or the one under that, just try each. Interestingly, I had the problem in C8.1, but the problem went away in C8.5. I dunno ... :coolsmirk:

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Yes, just change the preview type as Steve described and your display should be much more responsive. I hope you enjoy the product.

• ScotsmanScotsman Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Thanks Steve and PhilW

That worked.

Scotsman

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Yes, just change the preview type as Steve described and your display should be much more responsive. I hope you enjoy the product.

Phil - you should have a little merchandising banner to link to your products in your signature line. I had never heard of this plug-in before, but now I'm interested... I'll have to go manually search.

edited April 2015

dbuchter said:
    Phil - you should have a little merchandising banner to link to your products in your signature line. I had never heard of this plug-in before, but now I'm interested... I'll have to go manually search.

Its not really a plugin, rather a very realistic 3D Sea with a lot of variations in roughness. Fits nicely in the Carrara browser. Sample render attached.

Heading_Out_-_Force_8.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 563K
    Post edited by Steve K on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Wow, that's pretty nice Steve, I bought Philw's seas in the recent sale but haven't yet opened it to play with. How did you get the foam on the waves, is that a post effect?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited April 2015

Jonstark said:
    Wow, that's pretty nice Steve, I bought Philw's seas in the recent sale but haven't yet opened it to play with. How did you get the foam on the waves, is that a post effect?

Probably a function linked to elevation and slope, such as snow.

I would think that once you have the product, you may be able to apply the shader to an ocean primitive for an animated effect.

From what I have read about this product, it sounds as if it is a terrain in a replicator with the "Seamless" option enabled? If it is indeed a terrain, then you may also be able to go into the terrain editor and lower the Preview size while leaving the render size the same.

Just a note for those using the ocean primitive: You can tile that seamlessly in a replicator as well, even if it is animated, although you would probably want to avoid a wind direction. Just set the grid size of the replicator to match the size of the ocean (or terrains if you're using one), and then enable the Seamlessly option.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

dbuchter said:
    PhilW said:

Your right - it's probably a British thing against overt advertising!

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

The foam is part of the shaders that come with the set - it uses altitude dependence to only appear on the crests of waves.

edited December 1969

I also saw that Brian Orca has an incredibly good ocean primitive over on Carraracafe which has a link to his site. It has 'float' functions for anything on it, as well as 'wet' shaders for anything below the waterline, very interesting stuff

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Jonstark said:

The foam is part of the shaders that come with the set - it uses altitude dependence to only appear on the crests of waves.

Thanks, John, the image owes a lot to the 3D element vendors: PhilW for "Realistic Seas for Carrara", 3Djoji for the "Katherina Boat", drawbridgep for the "Lighthouse" (exported from Bryce), and Marlin Studios for "Rustic Exterior Surfaces" used to texture the lighthouse in Carrara.

As Phil says, I did nothing to the sea in post. That's why his Sea is a good buy. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Jonstark said:

That's awesome, didn't know that. Glad I've got it!

edited December 1969

So, here's what happens if you use a color gradient and a snow noise function on something with an animated change in elevation, such as the ocean primitive, or perhaps a terrain with a wave modifier.

Ocean_foam.gif
    480 x 360 - 2M
    edited December 1969

So, here's what happens if you use a color gradient and a snow noise function on something with an animated change in elevation, such as the ocean primitive, or perhaps a terrain with a wave modifier.

Evil - that looks very cool!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Amazing EP !
    I'm very, very very... interested by your settings !

edited April 2015

PhilW said:

Evil - that looks very cool!

I would imagine the shaders you made for your ocean would look much better and function much the same with possibly a little tweaking of either the wave height or the elevations in the shader.

edited December 1969

Amazing EP !
    I'm very, very very... interested by your settings !

Hi DUDU.

I didn't save the scene as I just put it together very quickly and to save render time didn't add any other functions to the shader, just the color and the snow elevation noise shader, which I exaggerated purposely. If I were to do it for a realistic animation, I would be more subtle.

I have some errands I have to do very shortly, which means that I will be gone for a few hours, but I will work up a better one and post the results.

edited December 1969

I can't wait to see it because I'm just working on a scene on the sea, but I don't want to take your time...:red:
    Thanks a lot !

edited December 1969

I can't wait to see it because I'm just working on a scene on the sea, but I don't want to take your time...:red:
    Thanks a lot !

Animation or still render?

edited December 1969

Animation my friend, still is not my specialty.

edited April 2015

Hi DUDU,
    sorry for getting to this much later than I had wanted, but my errands kept me busy, and one of the members of my theatre group is a High School Theatre (and Spanish) teacher, and asked me to come and see her student's spring show tonight....

Anyway, I started a thread about using an elevation based shader to animate foam on the Ocean primitive:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55137/