Are all renders confined to that small render window?

HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
edited February 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Post edited by HorusRa on

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I don't really understand this. In Carrara there's a render room that fills the entire screen and the renders themselves can be even bigger than the screen, I'm not sure what little window you're referring to?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited April 2015

horus3523 said:
    I picked up Carrara 8.5 pro on sale just several days ago on Daz's site and am trying to get the hang of it.
    I looked through the pdf manual and didn't see anything saying there is another viewport for the render window. I notice when I hit render it shows through that little window that pops up. That thing Is awfully small and doesn't give me a very good idea of what a scene really looks like. I think I've gotten used to the large window in Daz Studio 4.7 pro.

Also since there is so much to learn, I'd like to include another question; anyone know where there might be listed a good summary of where you want to set all those render settings? What I mean is default settings may be fine at first but its a different story for when u want to change them later for say final renders. Theres a lot of perimeters there. =P

To default size of the render is 640X480 pixels. It is easily changed by entering the desired size into the fields provided. If you want to change the aspect ratio, for instance, to a widescreen aspect, then un-check the little box that says Keep Proportions.

The Carrara Cafe has tons of tutorials that will get you started. I believe they are categorized, so you may find a list of optimal settings there.
    http://carraracafe.com/

The thing to remember, is that a lot of those settings will be scene dependent. For instance, you may be doing an animation, and how fast each frame may be very important to you, then some of the settings could potentially be lowered, such as AA. A 1 or .5 pixel accuracy under Fast, is much faster then the same setting under Good. For an animation, the quality difference may be minor. For a still render, where you want lots of fine detail, then Good would be a better option.

Picture_1.png
    256 x 1001 - 81K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
    edited February 2019

edited February 2019

edited February 2019

edited December 1969

It occurs to me that you may be asking about the rendered area of the Assembly Room view versus what actually renders (despite the resolution).

In the Assembly Room, at the top menu bar, select View--> Show Production frame. You should now see a wireframe outline of the production frame. This is what the camera sees, and anything within it will be in the render. Anything on the outside of the wireframe will not be rendered.

To change the size of the Camera's view in relation to the Assembly room view, you can select the camera, then move your mouse over any of the black dots in the corners of the wireframe, and the cursor should turn into a crosshairs. When that happens, click on the dot, and drag out to make it bigger in relation to the viewport, or drag it in, to make it smaller. If you have the Keep Proportions checkbox disable in the Render Room, then the aspect can also be changed by dragging the corners.

Picture_4.png
    521 x 272 - 56K
    Picture_3.png
    1242 x 882 - 95K
    Picture_2.png
    1237 x 813 - 93K
    edited February 2019

edited December 1969

horus3523 said:
    Heh. I think my eyes are not what they used to be when I was younger. I tried grabbing at the corner to drag the window larger and must have missed the mark. I was straining to see some of the scoll bars and such. Mentioned to the wife I might actually have to set my resolution a bit lower for Carrara. lol. =)

The camera needs to be selected when dragging out the wireframe camera view.

The render size I mentioned in my first response is set in the Render room. look at the screen shot. Let's say you want a render that is equal in size to what the forum here will accept (2000X2000 pixels) but you want to keep the default aspect ratio, then you would type in a value of 2000 pixels wide, by 1500 pixels high. If the Keep Proportions checkbox is enabled, then the other value should change automatically when you hit enter.

If you mean the render just displays as small window, you can expand it to fill the Render room's available realestate by double clicking the render window's title bar.

edited December 1969

I say this to everybody, but if you have a problem, and are having a hard time getting your meaning across, or don't know quite how to describe what you are seeing, then post a screen shot. Unless it is the Genesis Genitals UV thing. In that case, we will have to rely euphemisms. ;-)

edited February 2019

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I think you just need to double click on the bar at the top of the render window to toggle to full screen mode.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

You might be overlooking the render room tab at the top right and in that room are 3 more tabs of settings the middle one actually being render with size etc
    to actually hit render is down the bottom with a tiny postage stamp preview window you may be refering to as well the renders if you use preview.

In the assembly room you have spot render, maybe you are refering to that as well.
    Those are 3 possibilities I can think off off hand
    you might have also wandered into the storyboard room, never go there, it is useless.

edited December 1969

horus3523 said:
    I say this to everybody, but if you have a problem, and are having a hard time getting your meaning across, or don't know quite how to describe what you are seeing, then post a screen shot. Unless it is the Genesis Genitals UV thing. In that case, we will have to rely euphemisms. ;-)

Will do, and on the DS board I did do that yesterday concerning an issue (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54977/), way down in the thread. Just really tired today and thought I'd be able to explain better. Oh I just wanted to mention even though I am new to Carrara, and somewhat to DS I have been doing 3d modeling for many years, mostly as a registered Truespace user till they blundered that deal with Microsoft (looking for another full scale modeler right now, maybe Lightwave, not sure) I do have experience therefore concerning what u said about images being different regarding what settings u want. Its just that so many programs are different and use different terminology. For example Truespace never used the term "pixel filter width" such as DS does, etc, etc, etc. Also I had the same problem as carrara with DS until yesterday when several of the wonderful folks in the "New Users Help Forum - Start Here!" forum helped me with the render settings. See; I had the settings at default and couldn't understand some of the terms of the perimeters nor what to raise or lower in order to get rid of different rendering problems, and what to raise or lower when u want a final perfect render. I guess that's what I was asking about Carrara. I loked at some of the definitions (attributes/meanings) in the pdf manual but its very slim on the technical aspects, not that it need not be. Anyway, I hope that clears things up on what I was getting at. =)

You never know what an individual's experience level is, so I try and write for the broadest possible audience, so if I am overly verbose, then please forgive me.

Perhaps you can let us know what type of renders you want to do? Do you want to renders with Global Illumination? Faked GI? Image Based Lighting such as HDRIs? Do you want to do outdoor scenes?

So, assuming you want to a still render of an outdoor scene with really nice lighting even in shadows, I would recommend enabling Skylight in the Render room and not Indirect Lighting. Skylight allows you to use HDRIs as IBLs. It will also use Carrara's Realistic Skies, an image map, a color or color gradient as an IBL if you want. Skylight however does not calculate light that is reflected off of other objects. That is what the Indirect Light does. If you were to use it in an outdoor scene with lots of replicated trees and grasses, volumetric clouds, etc. the light calculations would be astronomical. That being said, Skylight and Indirect Light can be used in conjunction with each other if you want.

The photon settings such as quantity and accuracy will vary by scene. If the scene has lots of deep shadows, then you may wish to increase the photon count, photon accuracy and lighting quality to prevent artifacts in the shadows.

There are also some tricks you can take to improve the light calculations, such as rendering a low res image with the option to save the Irradiance Map, then render the full resolution with the option to render using the saved Irradiance map. Make sure to uncheck the Save Irradiance map option when using a saved map.

Irradiance maps are cool. It collects the GI light and shadow information for the whole scene, even the parts not in frame. You can actually animate a camera moving in the scene and it will be accurate as long as the lighting and shadows remain static- an animated figure for example will leave artifacts as demonstrated by this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLHnOrEyz3Y

edited February 2019

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited April 2015

Over towards top right you will se three tabs - Rendering - Output - Progress/Statistics.

Click on Output and you will see the options to resize your render, you can specify really huge render sizes which will not fit on your screen, change the aspect ratio and the format for saving, etc.

Regarding lighting, the set you have chosen to use has an environment sphere which is surrounding the scene and blocking the light from your distant light. You can either delete it, or if you click the option that it won't cast shadows, then you should be able to see the effects of the lighting. I would recommend you find out more about Carrara's lighting options to get the best results, they are very flexible and powerful.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited April 2015

To change the size of the render, you need to set the width and height, as described in the second reply above.

The image is probably dark because I suspect your light is positioned outside your background dome, and that's blocking it. I think UberEnvironment acts as a light emitter in Studio, but I've never actually used it, so I couldn't say how to duplicate that behaviour in Carrara.

An alternative which will certainly work, is to get rid of the uberenvironment sphere and load the image directly as a background.

- Select SCENE in the instances tab, then under Background (top right), select Map and browse to your image.

I think you'll then need to tick 'Global Illumination' in the render window (not sure about that one)

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
    edited December 1969

horus3523 said:
    ok what I was getting at was this, I'm in Assembly room. The image is nice and large. I was wondering why I can't render just like this, at this size and right here; the first image.

You can get the entire viewport in the frame if you follow the steps I outlined above, and what I'm writing below:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55085/#801037

The screen shots show what you need to do to view the Production Frame, which in my screen shot is the orange wireframe. Your wireframe will probably look white, because I changed it in my preferences and you are most likely using the defaults.

Once you have the View set to show the Production frame, you need to be looking through the render camera, probably called Camera 1, and not the Director's camera which is not a render camera and doesn't display a production frame.

Now, the default render size is set to 640 pixels wide, by 480 pixels high (640X480). This aspect is the old US television standard. It is rectangular, but it is a bit squarish on todays widescreen monitors. It is also small compared to the resolution of today's monitors. If you want to change from the standard aspect, to a different aspect, such as widescreen or portrait, you need to go to the Render Room and uncheck the Keep Proportions checkbox. Then you can either enter in any value you wish for each field, or you can go back to the Assembly room and do this:

Make sure the rendering camera is selected in the Scene's Instances palette on the right side of the screen. Now, hover you mouse over one of the little black dots at the corners of the Production Frame. When the mouse pointer turns into a cross hair, click and hold, while dragging out to expand the production frame. You may need to do this on a couple corners.

Some folks that come from other software, such as Studio think this is a bug or dumb way to do it. My feeling is that this is a more logical and arguably more photographic way to handle the camera. In real life, the scene doesn't stop at the edges of the viewfinder after all.

edited February 2019

edited February 2019

edited February 2019

edited February 2019

edited December 1969

If the light is a distant light, then the avatar for it can be anywhere in the scene, but the light source is an infinite distance away, so that's why, even though the avatar for it is within the sphere, the light is coming from outside. If you look at the Distance Light avatar it actually looks arrow or pointer shaped. It is merely an aid in helping to adjust the orientation of the light.

You don't have to get rid of the sphere if you don't want to. I think someone mentioned above that you can select the sphere, and in the General tab, at the top portion of the screen you can turn off the options to cast shadows and receive shadows. This will make the sphere virtually invisible to the lights.

So, if it is invisible to the lights, won't it look dark? Yes, it will. However, Carrara has a powerful, fun and surprisingly easy Texture room. If the image map on the sphere looks dark, then select the sphere in the Instances Palette and then at the top of the screen choose the Shader tab. I'm going to assume the sphere has a single shading domain, so click the edit button or the double click the sphere icon of the shader and Carrara will open the shader in the Texture room. Near the top of all the shader channels will be the Color channel. If you select it, it should display the thumbnail of the image map. Right-click to display the option to copy (or the standard keyboard short-cuts work) and then lower down the shader tree is the Glow Channel. Paste the copied Image map into the Glow channel. If the effect is to bright, there is brightness slider near the thumbnail to lower the intensity.

Picture_5.png
    875 x 440 - 104K
    Picture_4.png
    809 x 282 - 87K
    Picture_3.png
    870 x 315 - 93K
    Picture_2.png
    247 x 770 - 35K
    Picture_1.png
    249 x 795 - 49K
    edited April 2015

...And the last image that I couldn't fit in the above post.

Picture_6.png
    869 x 499 - 99K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Something to consider, is that Carrara has atmospheres and volumetric clouds. An image map renders very fast, so many people use them, but when I want to sell a large scene, I use a Realistic Sky and volumetric clouds! And craploads of Surface Replicators! ;-)

Zed_with_raider-final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Averting-Disaster02-PW.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited April 2015

Don't know if you have resolved your problem with the above advices but here is my contribution

The Render Room will show your image according to the size you set in the "output tab " settings.

A size of 1280x720 will give you full a screen render.
    As Evilproducer pointed out if your output is greater than 1280x720 then your image will be bigger than the screen and you will have to pan around to see the different parts of the image - conversely if you settings are less than 1280x720 the image will be smaller than the screen - as in your example posted above.

Larger resolutions take longer to render particularly with complex scenes so the smaller resolutions say 640 x 360 can be better to work with until you are ready to do a final render. Oh I presume you are familiar with the "Test Render" option in the assembly room - I use this maybe 20 times before going to the render room.

Also if you have a large 1280x720 on screen you can "minimise and maximise it again " by clicking on the black bar across the top of the image. Useful if you have several renders.

Moving to Carrara from Daz Studio can be daunting but in the end you will love it once you learn what it can do. Its not so much difficult, just a great deal to learn..
    hope this is helpful

Post edited by 0oseven on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Do you mean view production frame too by any chance?
    That can be scaled and reset using the madnifying glass icon arrows on left and indeed pulled in corners.