A DIFFERENT 4.20 render problem :)

Has anyone noticed that the post denoiser isn't working? It is doing nothing now that I downloaded the newest version and my renders are taking forever and are grainy. 

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

yeah, I did notice.

I seems to be restarting the render engine after only a few iterations.

And, as you said, isn't denoising anything.

I'll have to do a few more tests to see if I can put together a scene file that can reproduce the problem.

Would be fantastic if someone else could also try to do the same.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

maybe should post your findings in the beta test thread so more eyes will see it 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/528761/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-20-0-2-updated/p1

• Maybe I lost my old settings too. Was getting KILLER renders. 

Any advice on best settings for renders? I set them years ago and don't remember, blast it. 

Even my well-lit portraits are coming out grainy.

• Are you sure your renders are still usign the GPU, not dropping to CPU? If your drivers are not up to date and you haven't deslected the CPU and disallowed CPU fallback then that might well be the case, and the denoiser does require the GPU.

• I also have a very strange rendering problem with Iray. After update rendering was always going to CPU render. But if the render was running with GPU all was mixed up very strange way. I updated Nvidia drivers to the latest. Now iray render runs but gives weird results. The system has AMD Threadripper with 64 cores and RTX 8000. 

First picture is CPU render, second GPU

• weiglhweiglh Posts: 5

I'm working on a series of renders, which I started using version 4.15. Since switching to 4.20 I get totally weird results. The light are way to dark and when I set them higher, there are all of a sudden strange flares and mirrorings in the render. Doing the same rendering in 4.15 everything is fine again.

It's always like a piñata when getting a new DS version, but this time DAZ seems to have shot the bird. One wonders whether terms such as product stability, software life cycle and non-reactive software design play a role for DAZ developers at all.

Just before you ask the help desk standard questions: Yes, all my drivers are up to date!

• weiglh said:

I'm working on a series of renders, which I started using version 4.15. Since switching to 4.20 I get totally weird results. The light are way to dark and when I set them higher, there are all of a sudden strange flares and mirrorings in the render. Doing the same rendering in 4.15 everything is fine again.

It's always like a piñata when getting a new DS version, but this time DAZ seems to have shot the bird. One wonders whether terms such as product stability, software life cycle and non-reactive software design play a role for DAZ developers at all.

Just before you ask the help desk standard questions: Yes, all my drivers are up to date!

nVidia has made changes to iray - one, which is probably the main issue for you, affects emissive surfaces that are not full opaque, the other affects the Thin Film surface settings. Both were correcting actual bugs in the code, and they haev chosen not to provide a way to restore the previous behaviour so a lot of people (not just DS users) are going to have issues with saved data that was not created for the new version of Iray.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited March 2022

I always set Max Samples to about 1800-3200 depending on the scene's complexity. And I let the Denoiser kick in a few samples before that (about 1600-3000). Using a Render Quality of 2 and Converged Ratio of 98% just to be sure the denoiser will start before the converged ration is reached.

Always worked until latest update. Denoiser does not kick in anymore. I let renders run over night with up to 4000 Max Samples and a denoiser set at 2000. Result was grainy >:(

Weird thing being that the denoiser kicks in as it's asked to when using Spot Render.

All my latest renders are grainy and I had to denoise the 2D result with Luminar AI or photoshop...much less good than Nvidia which denoises signals produced by ray tracing rather than just flat pixels...

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Since 4.20 I am getting awefully slow renders as well. It is quite infuriating, I don't know if it is the new Nvidia Iray settings or Daz itself. I used to be able to run high res renders in 20 to 30 minutes on my 2080ti now it feels like I got my 900 card back...

• aeyxaaeyxa Posts: 9

running into the same issue, after upgrading my renders are grainy, using latest drivers