uv mapping in Carrara 8.5

ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Does anyone know how to use the UV editor in Carrara 8.5?

Are there any current tutorials or instructions on how it works?

I found this old tutorial http://www.awbenson.com/tutorials/Carrara_UV/UV_4.htm

Thanks,
Craig

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Ckalan1

try this. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Carrara_first_steps.zip

it's a set of Jpg images with text (in a Zip file)
    there's some stuff on creating shading domains and painting which includes some basics of UV mapping.

How you UV an object depends on the shape and how you want it to be mapped,.
    simple objects can have one of the default mapping methods like Box, Splere etc
    while complex objects may need to me Split and flattened and possibly divided into seperate shading domains , each with it's own UV mapping.

it'd help if you explained what the object is and how you want it mapped.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

You may also want to look through the following thread. It has some good tips and several examples applied to some objects.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52283/

Great to see you post again, Andy! Thanks for the zip file.

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the information.

I want to learn the general principles of UV mapping in Carrara so I can uv map anything that I need to map.

I am considering buying a 3rd party UV mapping and paint application but if I can figure out the Carrara UV map editor I would rather stick with Carrara.

I am trying to re-map a 1958 Chevy. Some of the textures are showing up in the wrong places and I want to align them properly.

edited December 1969

Learning the basics is a good idea,. as those basics will also apply to any other apps you use.

To learn the basics,. you should really start with a simpler model than a Chevy
    Start with simple and work to complex.

the Chevy, ....is it a model you made, or an imported model ?

The imported model, depending on the app it was created in could be using a Flipped/Mirrored texture map for both sides, and then the issue could be a "Shader"and shading domain issue rather than a UV issue.

If you can post a pic of what you have,.. showing the problems, it may help,.
    it may just give us a good laugh :)

For vehicle bodywork,. (generally), unless there are Logos/decals, then it should be using simple procedural colour shaders, rather than texture maps

edited December 1969

Several years ago I got this 1958 Chevy model from somewhere. I don't have a clue where I got it from.

I did not build the model. I wish I knew who did so I could give them credit.

I attached the Carrara file. Maybe you can open it and let me know what you think.

The main reason I want to learn about UV editing is so I figure out the best way to texture room interiors with very fine details.

I am looking into buying 3d-Coat but I would rather do everything in Carrara if I can.

Craig

Grannys_58_Chevy.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 323K
    edited December 1969

I attached the Carrara file. Maybe you can open it and let me know what you think.

Don't do that :) .. the forum doesn't support File uploads,. Plus, that model may still be a commercial product , uploading it fo free may be a bad idea,.

The main reason I want to learn about UV editing is so I figure out the best way to texture room interiors with very fine details.

the fine details are more about the Shaders or texture maps you create and the shader settings for those, rather than the UV's

I am looking into buying 3d-Coat but I would rather do everything in Carrara if I can.

3D-Coat and Z-Brush both have excellent UV and texturing/painting systems compared to carrara's UV mapping and 3D-paint, it's clunkier, but it's still capable of doing whatever you want.

Carrara has an awesome shader system.

The Chevy looks OK-ish to me, ..nothing stands out as being obviously wrong,.
    The body-paint could perhaps have more visible reflections, but I think that's because it's on a Plane with nothing else in the scene to reflect on the surface.
    If you added just a few objects (off camera) to the scene,. or use a Background image, that will add some reflections,.
    Also lower the "shininess" channel in the shader to give a wider gloss.

:)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions.

Craig

edited December 1969

No Problems :)

The multiple shading domains in the model is due to the different parts of the model, and that's the best way / easiest way to deal with those parts and allow the user to change shaders or textures easily,.

it's a Linked thing, or more like dependancy issues :0 one thing leads to another.
    How you define shading domains and how those domains are UV mapped depends on how you want the shaders/textures to be
    for example,. if you want a number plate to have a name or letters and numbers, then it's best to define a seperate shading domain, and UV's for that specific part

if you had less shading domains you'd need to create shaders which would apply different textures to multiple parts of the model, and that leads to a more complex UV mapping layout.

just noticed your PM
    I don't have google drive, sorry,. :(

however,. you should experiment with some simpler objects, define different shading domains and experiment with different default UV Mapping layouts,.
    Carrara also has some Shader functions which can apply different UV mapping, such as "Projection mapping" and the "Layers list"
    which is great for adding different shaders to an area of a model without thinking about UV's

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

I will give it a shot. Thanks for your suggestions.

Craig

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited December 1969

Very well explained for 3DAGE, I may add that if you are interested in to UV map anything, you should aware about the vertex room, is where you can model from zero and avoid any mapping issue you may have in the way, I have done several examples with very nice results, when you model in the vertex room you have the UV mapping assured to be done in the correct way, take a look to the following samples:

Mickey_Dotted_Sheet.png
    698 x 761 - 291K
    Perforated_Sheet_r-1.png
    740 x 618 - 236K
    Metal_Sheet_Carrara.png
    599 x 530 - 368K
    edited April 2015

Here you can see a close up to the metal sheet texture, then you can see that is not only a bump effect done in the shader room, but a real texture, the which ensures the complete mapping through the texture.

Metal_Sheet_Carrara_4.jpg
    600 x 450 - 173K
    Post edited by otodomus on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

ckalan1 said:
    Several years ago I got this 1958 Chevy model from somewhere. I don't have a clue where I got it from.

That looks very much like the same car PhilW uses in his Carrara Realism Rendering series. He said it's by web_wizard, and it's in the free stuff section on Rendo.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

do you use the pins on the unwrapping any of those examples?

edited December 1969

do you use the pins on the unwrapping any of those examples?

Hello there, well is not, I have done the texture entirely in the vertex room, in my very own experience modelling using the boolean effects can derive in some issues, here you can see a detail of the model since the vertex room:

Textured_Metal_Mesh.png
    1616 x 908 - 235K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i guess you'd have to 3d paint a texture?

some of those polys are hidden behind each other

edited April 2015

HI Otodomus :)

Interesting work,. but there is an easier way to do that.

You can use "Displacement" which uses an image to alter the shape of a much simpler model

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Displacement_Example.zip
    Here's the scene and texture maps, if anyone is interested.
    The texture maps are "seamless" tiling,.
    Metal plate_.jpg (is the diffuse (colour) texture map),.
    Metal plate_D.jpg (is the grey-scale image which creates the displacement)

I'm pretty familiar with the Vertex modeller, and Boolean is something which can cause issues if it's used incorrectly (bad geometry)
    It's like a Power-tool (like a chainsaw) you need to learn how to use it properly, then it can be very useful.

displace_example.jpg
    1260 x 755 - 173K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

Hi Misty whisky :)

i guess you’d have to 3d paint a texture?

some of those polys are hidden behind each other

Texture mapping is a "Projection" thing.
    it's like projecting an image onto a surface,. but the image can keep going through a solid surface (like wood) for example.

Your UV options and layout, determine how the object is textured

Depending on what type of UV mapping you choose to apply,. and you how you choose to layout your object, the texture can be applied to the different sides equally,. or applied to one side, and could pass straight through to the opposite side.

:)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Otodomus :)

Interesting work,. but there is an easier way to do that.

You can use "Displacement" which uses an image to alter the shape of a much simpler model

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Displacement_Example.zip
    Here's the scene and texture maps, if anyone is interested.
    The texture maps are "seamless" tiling,.
    Metal plate_.jpg (is the diffuse (colour) texture map),.
    Metal plate_D.jpg (is the grey-scale image which creates the displacement)

I'm pretty familiar with the Vertex modeller, and Boolean is something which can cause issues if it's used incorrectly (bad geometry)
    It's like a Power-tool (like a chainsaw) you need to learn how to use it properly, then it can be very useful.

Thanks friend!

I have a couple of questions here: The displacement do a "fake" texture as far I can see, the which is cool since makes a lighter model, but I have some questions, if I want that the texture be perforated? In the samples I have loaded here you can see a bended sheet with a green texture, in which the holes can show the background, how a displacement can do a similar effect? There's a way to do it? And if I want to create a different texture when the prominences be a squared one or other shape, how many options can be textured this way? Or even better, can I create my own texture? And if the answer is yes how can I load it into the displacement option?

Cheers and thanks!

Otto

edited April 2015

HI Otto :)

The texture maps I did for that example, were created using "Eye candy" from AlienSkin..
    It's a plugin for Photoshop which has a wide variety of 2D / 3D texture creation options, (see pics below)
    I also use Filter Forge which has amazing abilities to create 2D/3D textures, but isn't as simple to use as Eye Candy.

http://www.alienskin.com
    http.//www.filterforge.com

I made the Displacement map by selecting the flat area, to exclude the raised diamonds, and filled it with 50% grey
    I then inverted that selection to select only the diamonds, and filled that with 100% white
    In displacement, Grey is flat (no effect) Black is low, and white is High

The displacement do a “fake” texture as far I can see,
    There is an option in the shader to make the displacement visoble in the 3D view.

If you exported that model as a 3D object (OBJ) then Imported it back into carrara, it would have the displaced shape. (without needing a displacement map)
    Obviously that would also create a much higher polygon mesh, since the Displacement is being converted to real geometry.

Export as Wavefront (OBJ) and enable the "export with morphs and skinning" option in the export options panel.

if I want that the texture be perforated?

Holes can be made in any surface by using an "Alpha" map (grey-scale image) or flat black and white.
    The white areas are solid, and black areas are transparent.

[quote} can I create my own texture?

yes, and you don't need photoshop or Eye candy, although they help. :)

Carrara has some powerful shader options (see "Patterns Functions") as an example
    You can create a carrara shader in the displacement tab of the shaders

Pics to help :)

Pic 1 = the Eye Candy 7 options
    Pic 2 = where to enable the option to "Displace in the 3D view" in the shaders
    Pic 3 = Just an example of a pattern function, used in the displacement tab of the shader
    Pic 4 = The model in the 3D view after enabling the displace in 3D view option.
    Pic 5 = The displaced model,.. exported and re-imported as a Model without any displacement.

EXP_IMP.jpg
    1560 x 1000 - 524K
    3DView_disp.jpg
    1558 x 992 - 293K
    Shader_paterns.jpg
    1146 x 490 - 125K
    Disp_options.jpg
    658 x 464 - 63K
    EC7_main.jpg
    1112 x 646 - 145K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

Wow! That was very illustrative! I've never used that option before, all the textures I needed in the past were done by the use of vertex room, a bit of slow but very effective, but now I am learning of a new process, will try it for sure!

Thanks!

Otto

edited December 1969

Another way to Displace the surface of a model is to use "Displacement Painting" in the Vertex Modeller.

You need to have several levels of sub division Smoothing or a high definition model to get good results.
    Carrara comes with a selection of "Brush" textures, but you can also create your own images to use as brushes to paint displacement.

This allows you to "paint" the displacement strength, directly onto your model.
    You can also export the displacement you create in this way, as a grey-scale image map

I modelled this head in Carrara, some time ago, and used Displacement painting to create a more organic feel to the surfaces like the Tusks.

The "hair" was just me messing around with Z-brush, so please ignore that.. :)

jed_hair.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 224K
    edited December 1969

No way! I was going to mention that the hair looks great! A "natural" look if you ask me...

edited December 1969

Ha :)

Natural for an alien creature :)

The hair was the only thing on that model that I used Z-Brush for, it was really just testing the new Fibermesh and the Carrara GOZ plug-in
    the model was made in Carrara.
    I also painted that model in Carrara using the 3D painting tools, after UV mapping it in the vertex modeller
    Rendered with Octane.

edited April 2015

3DAGE said:
    Ha :)

Natural for an alien creature :)

The hair was the only thing on that model that I used Z-Brush for, it was really just testing the new Fibermesh and the Carrara GOZ plug-in
    the model was made in Carrara.
    I also painted that model in Carrara using the 3D painting tools, after UV mapping it in the vertex modeller
    Rendered with Octane.

But the result looks very accurate to me, perhaps because we are talking of a mythic creature, I don't know what you had in mind, but the result looks pretty cool to me...

Post edited by otodomus on