3d printing

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I need to know if I get a 3d printer will I be able to print using DAZ and Bryce. What kind of 3d printer is recommended?

Comments

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Having watched the local maker dudes playing with their plastic extrusion printers, I think it's safe to say that there's a big difference between being able to print something and being able to print something that has the quality you want. A few years ago, there was only the "build it yourself" makerbot style extruder printers around. Now there's stuff you can buy off the shelf for resin, extruder, or sintering (hit some powder with a laser and make the particles stick together) or other more exotic forms of printing. The extruder stuff doesn't let you do color and has pretty low resolution. The resin stuff is higher resolution, but there is the mess of dealing with the resin and the solvent fumes, etc. I wouldn't want to run a resin printer in my bedroom, but it would be ok in a well ventilated space like a garage. I think there are some resin printers that can do color, but most are monochrome that I've seen. The sintering ones can do color. There are service bureaus where you can send them a model and they'll print it and ship it to you. I'd experiment with some of those before investing in my own printer so that you can see the results before buying a printer.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And of course keep an eye on the EULA for licensing details.

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

If it's content of your own design, you can do anything you want. With DAZ content, I think you can print for personal use. But as chohole says, it's best to check the EULA and if in doubt, ask customer support.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

I need to know if I get a 3d printer will I be able to print using DAZ and Bryce. What kind of 3d printer is recommended?

As far as I understand 3d-printing requires an STL file (mesh). As Bryce doesn't export meshes as STLs, you could always save the mesh created in Bryce as a common .obj file, and then open [that] file in, say, MeshLab (this is a wonderful free software to have), which allows saving as an STL.

I'd like to have a 3D printer, too, but as to which to purchase, or appropriate for Bryce, well that's like choosing one from six, of from half a dozen of the other (pardon the cliche ;) . I guess, the dearer they are, they more options you have...well, that's usually the case in some circumsatnces.

Jay

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,957
    edited December 1969

I am planning on buying a 3D printer soon, if and when I do I will post how it turns out.
    I am fascinated with the idea of modeling links in carrara, using bullet physics to drop them into a box with collision distance set then printing the result and unravelling it.
    I doubt that is possible though.
    I actually am going to do far more mundane stuff prob for example using architools and making a model of my house I can assemble.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

There are on-line options for those who don't want to invest in a 3D printer, or who need to create fast prototypes for product development.. etc

As has been mentioned, you need to be aware of the legal restrictions of printing someone else's models.

If you create your own models, then you can do what you want.

The service I use is Shapeways. ( http://www.shapeways.com ) they have locations in the USA and Europe

You Upload you model,. in OBJ ,.. many other formats are supported
    They have software which auto checks the viability of the uploaded model, and highlights any issues or errors in the structure, allowing you do make any corrections (in your modelling software) and re-upload your model.

You can select from a wide variety of materials including plastics and metals (Steel, Gold /Silver (for custom jewellery
    You can create an on-line Store, where you could allow people to buy a printed models, and choose materials etc

Some materials are also available in colours and multi-colour options.

Once your model has been printed, it's mailed to you.

Wendy,. you should check out some of the "puzzle" items on the shapeways site as examples of what's possible :)

Hope it helps

edited December 1969

That is actually where I got the idea!
    I have Zbrush too but still very noob at it indeed, it confuses the hell out of me.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

I'm with you on Z-brush, Wendy :)
    The tools and functions are amazing but I'm so used to low poly modelling that it feels wrong to be working with really high resolution stuff, and I still want to grab polygons and extrude them :) I know that can be done with the new tools, but the work-flow is so different, I think it just takes time to re-learn to do things in a different way.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

A 3d print show will take place in London in May. I've lost the brochure where I saw it being advertised but the show will take place also in different venues across the world. It would seem to be geared primarily for those in the industry (judging by the talks/events available) but I imagine that many of the printers aimed at home buyers will be on show along with representatives willing to answer any questions.

From what I've read only (and as 3dAge mentioned) models to be printed need to be whole with thickness and no separate parts. A Daz figure holding a sword would need the sword and hand to be one-piece. So, if I've understood correctly, there would need to be a lot of preparatory work done to normal DAZ items - not forgetting the ins and outs of the EULA.

Wendy it seems that your Zbrush is my 3dCoat. I bought the program over a year ago. I love it in the sense that each time I start it up I admire it as a great program. But I haven't yet managed to break below the surface to do anything with it!!

edited December 1969

Yes I have had Zbrush a while now and spent a lot of time opening it looking and closing it!
    I have managed to use it to make a DAZ model watertight 3d print ready possibly though using a method described in another thread
    still deciding on a printer, the Da Vinci 1.0 needs a firmware replacement to make it useable with refillable spools and other limitations imposed by the included software and no replacement parts according to a review which was offputting though it seems superior to the Cube, I might have to see an actual one in a shop rather than buy online, may look today locally.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Just seen your reply Wendy! (I was shocked a second ago to see that it's 2:48 in the morning here in the UK - I thought it was only around midnight!)

I hope you make a good choice with the printer - the world will no doubt be amazed by the results! Maybe your fans on Youtube will clamour for limited edition prints!

This is off-topic but when I look at the latest offerings from Reallusion for Iclone, it seems that everyone needs to possess Zbrush and Photoshop to follow the workflow. I guess I'm falling behind.

From the very little I know about 3d Printers - some of the lower-cost ones have a heated / unheated platform choice and heated is better, apparently.

Must go back to my crypt for the night!

Best regards

edited December 1969

well paid for a Da Vinci 1.0 will see when it ships to me what I can do
    hoping all goes well

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

3D printing is actually just a very primitive version of the Nanofactory concept.
    Here is a website with a video on how a Nanofactory would function.

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=1191.php

http://www.crnano.org/bootstrap.htm

Here is a picture someone made of a small desktop nanofactory. This is NOT my render.

1.jpg
    720 x 480 - 35K