Bridge not compatible with new Unreal Enginee 5.0 Preview 1 ?

With 5.0 EA version, the plug-in seemed to work, whereas it throws an error and terminate UE loading on the new 5.0 Preview 1 release that just came out.  Does anyone know how to fix this error or get around it?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JoJo Posts: 17
    edited February 2022

5.0 EA and 5.0 preview 1 Are basically different engines.

The DazToUnreal bridge does not compile under preview 1.

I have a version that does here it is compiled under UE5 preview 1 :-

https://github.com/jobutsu/DazToRuntime/releases/download/v4.2.0.48/DazToUnreal.zip

When a Daz3d version is made available, switch to that as it will have bug fixes etc.

Post edited by Jo on
  • Hey Jo, I'm following your tutorials to bridge Daz 8.1 characters into UE5_Preview_1, thanks a lot for doing those.
    Where you able to create the 3rdPersonAnimBP so we can use the daz charas as playable in UE?

I'm kinda new to UE but been using daz and blender for many years. I was able to bridge from Daz to Ue 4.27.2 and use as playable chara but when I try to convert the project to UE5_Preview_1 skeleton doesn't copy and materials are broken.

What is the best way to get all this to work? Should I use metahumans rig or default mannequin, are there any assets/plugins in the marketplace that can help any of this madness? ^^'
    Is it actually possible to bridge clothes and accessory and get them to cloth simulate in UE5_Preview_1?

I will try with your plugin to see if at least I don't need to use 4.27.2

What about hairs, what kind of controls do we have on them, are there advanced tutorials to get them to simulate in any way?

Have you tried plask ai online service? If yes where you able to transfer animations to unreal mannequin or daz?

Am I running to fast and first need to learn something else?

You are the only one I found that get amazing results and actually help in the community, thank you so much for that

• Ok I was able to bridge the Daz 8.1 with simple clothes to UE5_Preview_1 using your plugin (you are the best), still crashing when trying to duplicate retarget animation blueprint, or simple idle animation from mannequin.

Is there another way to get the playable character or at least the animation?

Let's say I'd like to import an animation from plask or mixamo, will I be able to retarget it to mannequin and then retarget it to Daz? Or am I confusing something?

Thank you

• Jo said:

5.0 EA and 5.0 preview 1 Are basically different engines.

The DazToUnreal bridge does not compile under preview 1.

I have a version that does here it is compiled under UE5 preview 1 :-

https://github.com/jobutsu/DazToRuntime/releases/download/v4.2.0.48/DazToUnreal.zip

When a Daz3d version is made available, switch to that as it will have bug fixes etc.

Thanks so much! 

edited February 2022

There are a few questions there and I think the best way to answer them is for me to create a video where I show my workflow from Daz to UE5.

I hope to get that done within the next couple of weeks. It will probably have to be broken down into parts, which will require planning.

UnrealEngine5 is so buggy at the moment, so everything is taking twice as long as it should.

For now my workflow is:-

1. Create a Daz body (with clothes), remove the head and export to UE5

2. Export the hair to Blender and convert to particle hair with a plugin. Then export to UE5 (does not work with all hair)

3. Create a MetaHuman (for the head only) and import into UE5

4. Attach MetaHuman head and the hair from Blender to Daz body inside a blueprint.

5. Do all the new IK retargeting stuff

6. Drink a beer

Post edited by Jo on
  • Oh so there's no way I can use a DAZ head? I might be ok with the hair (btw what plugin, I do have hair tool), but the DAZ figures with heads is kinda what I was hoping for.

Sounds amazing for the video of course, definitely looking forward!

I'm guessing the benefit of using MetaHuman head is all the blendshapes and rig all ready for facial expression right?

Are you going to cover basic clothes in the video as well?

Thank you

griantalamonti said:

Oh so there's no way I can use a DAZ head? I might be ok with the hair (btw what plugin, I do have hair tool), but the DAZ figures with heads is kinda what I was hoping for.

I'm guessing the benefit of using MetaHuman head is all the blendshapes and rig all ready for facial expression right?

Thank you

I personally stopped using Daz Heads in UnrealEngine because they do not look that great, when compared to a MetaHuman Head.

Maybe I am doing something wrong ? It may be possible to make them look better. Daz bodies are much better than a MetaHuman body though.

I use the Hair converter from this forum to make particle hair.

Yes clothing will be included, although I am still stuggling with getting clothes to behave correctly in all animations.

• Jo said:

griantalamonti said:

Oh so there's no way I can use a DAZ head? I might be ok with the hair (btw what plugin, I do have hair tool), but the DAZ figures with heads is kinda what I was hoping for.

Thank you

I personally stopped using Daz Heads in UnrealEngine because they do not look that great, when compared to a MetaHuman Head.

Maybe I am doing something wrong ? It may be possible to make them look better. Daz bodies are much better than a MetaHuman body though.

Yes clothing will be included, although I am still stuggling with getting clothes to behave correctly in all animations.

Can't wait to see the tutorial(s)! 

• Jo said:

griantalamonti said:

Thank you

Alright sounds awesome, for the MetaHuman I can just download it from the bridge one I did or do I have to download other project files, are they for UE5?
    I just want to be fully ready for when you are going to upload the video :)
    Feel free to tell me if we need anything else, if you're able to make the chara playable and animations it's going to be amazing!

Thank you

Alright sounds awesome, for the MetaHuman I can just download it from the bridge one I did

Yep.

I will post back here when I have a tutorial of some sort. It could be a while though, so please be patient with me please.

• Jo said:

Alright sounds awesome, for the MetaHuman I can just download it from the bridge one I did

Yep.

I will post back here when I have a tutorial of some sort. It could be a while though, so please be patient with me please.

Absolutely! no rush in any way ^^ 

Have a great weekend!

I was travelling and ended up sick, so it will be even longer for the tutorial now.

But !! I just sat down for an hour in front of the computer and found that it is very, very simple to import and retarget my G2,G3,G8 animations into UE5 now.

So digging out my old harddrives with old daz libraries on them.

You can take an old G2 animation for example, and retarget to G3,G8 or MetaHuman etc inside UE5..

• Jo said:

I was travelling and ended up sick, so it will be even longer for the tutorial now.

But !! I just sat down for an hour in front of the computer and found that it is very, very simple to import and retarget my G2,G3,G8 animations into UE5 now.

So digging out my old harddrives with old daz libraries on them.

You can take an old G2 animation for example, and retarget to G3,G8 or MetaHuman etc inside UE5..

I hope you get better soon ^^

That's sounds like a great news, but not sure how to apply that, I'm gonna wait for your tutorial but I'm already happy that you found a new way :)

Take care!

David has updated DazToUnreal

https://github.com/David-Vodhanel/DazToRuntime/releases

Get the plugin from there rather than mine.

griantalamonti

The first part of my workflow is up on YouTube.

• Jo said:

David has updated DazToUnreal

https://github.com/David-Vodhanel/DazToRuntime/releases

Get the plugin from there rather than mine.

griantalamonti

The first part of my workflow is up on YouTube.

That is awesome man! Looking forward to try these new skills, thanks a lot for notifying me here ^^