A couple of questions about using content for DS and Poser in Carrara

MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
edited April 2015 in Carrara Discussion

A lot of content sold by DAZ 3D comes with PoserCF files, mostly the Genesis and Genesis 2 content to allow these items to work inside of Poser. What I'd like to know is, are these files also required for these items to work inside of Carrara, or are the DS files sufficient? I won't be using Poser at all, so if I can save myself some time and hard drive space by not installing these files, that'd be great.

On a related note, can Carrara use lights and shaders made for Poser? I bought a few sets when I was trying to learn Poser (which I finally gave up on), and if I can use them inside of Carrara, it'd expand my options (and make me feel better about having spent money on something I'd otherwise not be using at all).

Thanks...

Post edited by Morpheon on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

The PoserCF files are of no use in Carrara, but Carrara can use ordinary Poser content. However, the shaders aren't transferable.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

The PoserCF files are of no use in Carrara, but Carrara can use ordinary Poser content. However, the shaders aren't transferable.

Thank you -- that's exactly what I needed to know.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

If the light sets come with gels, gobos etc., you can probably use those by applying the associated image files to Carrara's lights directly.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    If the light sets come with gels, gobos etc., you can probably use those by applying the associated image files to Carrara's lights directly.

Some do. I also have several sets for DS and Bryce (like the three "Light Gel" packs) that include gobos. I have Bryce but haven't gotten much use out of it (Bryce won't run on my machine -- something to do with a 32-bit library issue), so it'd be nice to get some use out of its content, also. Thanks for the info.