Scenes not showing public build of Carrara

natclarkenatclarke Posts: 79
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have carrra 8.5 pro installed which is showing the scenes. I have installed the public build on my mac, however all the scenes and objects are no longer showing in this version. What do I do to fix it?

thanks
Natalie

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited April 2015

Hi Natalie :)

The Public Build is a "Beta Version" so, it doesn't come with all the native content,.
    It's primarily available for user "testing" the core program.

You could use the Browser, to "Add" the Presets and Scenes folders from your main Carrara install (I think it's the "Applications folder" on a Mac) on PC it's the Programs folder, and you could Add your own presets (scenes and shaders you've made) from the My documents folders, Not sure what the equivalent is on the mac.

I'd advise not installing any third party plugins at this point,. It's a Beta version, and it's important to remember that anything you do in a Beta version could potentially turn to a mess.

Hope it helps :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • natclarkenatclarke Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I will use that version then. How do I get the smart content to show? It shows in the beta version but not 8.5 pro?
    :)

edited December 1969

Will have to persevere with beta version as pro 8.5 constantly crashes! Can find the install of the presets under the mac contents in applications though. Could it possibly be stored somewhere else?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

The following is based on what I believe I have read regarding DIM installation. If he happens along, Fixmypcmike will know more about how DIM installs stuff. If he doesn't happen along, we may want to message him about the thread.

If you had 8.5 pro release (regular) along with various content, and then installed the 8.5 beta, I believe the beta will not see all of the prior installed content. However, I think if you installed using the DIM, then DIM knows where both versions (release and beta) of Carrara are, and will install Carrara content to both locations going forward. I think if you uninstall and reinstall an item of Carrara specific content as a test, you will be able to confirm this, or not. So, if you have purchased a Howie Farkes scene, or a DP shaders product, or something like that and you had installed using DIM, try using the DIM to uninstall and reinstall that one item as a test. See if it installs so that you can see it in both the release version and the beta version. If it works, repeat for other Carrara-specific content that you are not seeing in the beta but are seeing in the regular version.

One way to check without doing the test is to look at you installed applications within DIM (click the upper right wheel looking thing). There are tabs for installation and applications. See if Carrara is listed twice under applications (one could say public build).

Again, assuming you used DIM to install.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

natclarke said:
    Will have to persevere with beta version as pro 8.5 constantly crashes! Can find the install of the presets under the mac contents in applications though. Could it possibly be stored somewhere else?

You'll need to right-click the Carrara.app icon and select "Show Package Contents from the menu. Then browse down to MacOS, and you'll find the native content files. (exactly what you'll find depends on what you have installed). Do the same for the beta in another Finder window/tab, and you can then copy one to the other.

Screen_Shot_2015-04-19_at_19.50_.45_.png
    951 x 706 - 142K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Natalie :)

I believe that the beta uses a different database (PostgreSQL) which should be available in your DIM downloads.
    Install that and your smart content should show up.

There's also a CMS Valentina to CMS PostgreSQL convertion thingy which should take the data from the old database (Valentina) and convert it to the new database.

CMS = Content Management System

Hope that helps :)

edited December 1969

Thank you! all fixed
    :lol: