Daz texturing from Hexagon - Simple solution?

There are three cubes in the attached file.  I applied the Cyborg Shaders "Syborg Steel Scratched" shader to each of them.

• The cube on the left (A) is a Daz Primitive
  • The cube in the middle (B) is a 3D Primitive from Hexagon
  • The cube on the right (C) is a Daz Primitive I sent to Hexagon, did not modify, and sent back to Daz.

A and C have the correct appearance, where B is just featureless gray.  I read http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/referenceguide/materials/start (in terms of more complex shading) and found it unhelpful.

What is the "Hexagon for Morons" solution to this problem/technical shortcoming—specifically, to make a Hexagon primitive receptive to any Daz shader, not pre-programming it with a specific texture for a specific shader?  Would especially love a "Do the following steps, and all Hexagon primitives you export to Daz in the future will appear correct when you apply a Daz shader" solution, but will settle for "You have to do the following steps every single time, but they'll at least fix this problem each time".  Any help is appreciated.

Why are you like this Hexagon.jpg
889 x 328 - 94K

Comments

• I think I know what you're trying to do but it wont work, Hexagon does not understand shaders. If you where using textures then it would work, not shaders.

• SakarosSakaros Posts: 18

Wee Dangerous John said:

I think I know what you're trying to do but it wont work, Hexagon does not understand shaders. If you where using textures then it would work, not shaders.

That's disappointing, but if that's how it is, that's how it is.  Will Daz primitives sent to Hexagon and then modified (cutting pieces off, hollowing out, etc.) still retain their shaderable property when ultimately sent back to Daz?

• The cube from Hexagon in D/S showing as plain grey, needed to have a uvmap applied to it in Hexagon, that's all. It's a cube, there is a cube uvset, apply it, Accept it. Give it a Shading Domain with matching Materials Name, export it out/over to D/S. In D/S using the tool pane and geometry editor/ find the surface with "0" - often called Default, and right-click on it choosing to remove it.

Then continue on with the normal pointer, doing whatever you want with the cube in D/S.

• SakarosSakaros Posts: 18

Catherine3678ab said:

The cube from Hexagon in D/S showing as plain grey, needed to have a uvmap applied to it in Hexagon, that's all. It's a cube, there is a cube uvset, apply it, Accept it. Give it a Shading Domain with matching Materials Name, export it out/over to D/S. In D/S using the tool pane and geometry editor/ find the surface with "0" - often called Default, and right-click on it choosing to remove it.

Then continue on with the normal pointer, doing whatever you want with the cube in D/S.

Perfect—this is exactly what I needed.  Thank you!

• Sakaros said:

Catherine3678ab said:

The cube from Hexagon in D/S showing as plain grey, needed to have a uvmap applied to it in Hexagon, that's all. It's a cube, there is a cube uvset, apply it, Accept it. Give it a Shading Domain with matching Materials Name, export it out/over to D/S. In D/S using the tool pane and geometry editor/ find the surface with "0" - often called Default, and right-click on it choosing to remove it.

Perfect—this is exactly what I needed.  Thank you!

You're welcome :-) 

• Sorry, my error. I was seeing it in Hex rather than DAZ Studio - I'm must be getting old :(

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 473

Sakaros said:

Wee Dangerous John said:

I think I know what you're trying to do but it wont work, Hexagon does not understand shaders. If you where using textures then it would work, not shaders.

That's disappointing, but if that's how it is, that's how it is.  Will Daz primitives sent to Hexagon and then modified (cutting pieces off, hollowing out, etc.) still retain their shaderable property when ultimately sent back to Daz?

It depends.  Some functions will leave the UV maps alone, many will strip them from the model.

You can delete geometry, and add vertexes, but you will lose the UV if you use undo.  Welding will strip the UV, for example.  To avoid problems, you want to create the UV map last.