How many Callie 6 Carrara Customers?

ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
edited April 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Question,

Before I jump into finishing up the Callie 6 Carrara shaders, How many here have purchase Callie 6?
Just gauging if I should really finish the shaders.

Thanks

Post edited by ringo monfort on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Question,

Before I jump into finishing up the Collie 6 Carrara shaders, How many here have purchase Collie 6?

Thanks

Who is Collie 6? I honestly can't keep up with all these figures. I did update to C8.5, so your other shaders are definitely on my to-get-list.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Ringo :)

I think It's Callie 6 . unless there's also a new dog model (Border Collie 6)

Really bad font choice, it reads like an O, not an A

It looks like an Aiko/TheGirl mIx-up to me
    I think they're stretching out the amount of different ways to sell the same model to breaking point.

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

I think they're stretching out the amount of different ways to sell the same model to breaking point.

You right, it should be an 'a" in the name. :)
    There are two types of texture maps one that gives here the Toon look and the other one that makes her look more realistic.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

This one is too "Disney" for my taste, so I'll be giving it a miss.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

will wait until they give her away .

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Hi Ringo, although I bought the character I don't plan to use it in regular renders. As others have pointed out, it is a toon style. I'm even a step beyond that and might use it more for NPR drawing style stuff. I'm not sure that I would buy a regular skin shader. I might buy a skin shader designed for toons, but maybe not even that.

I am certainly not typical, though.

callie_captain_cupcake_line_art.jpg
    1040 x 780 - 56K
    edited December 1969

This is a test render of Callie 6.

test3.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 334K
  • LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Question,

Before I jump into finishing up the Callie 6 Carrara shaders, How many here have purchase Callie 6?

Thanks

I purchased the Pro Bundle tonight, and love your shader work , RingoMonfort, so you would have a sale from me :-)

Rich S.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Maybe not on Day 1, more of a sales and bundles buyer myself.
    Would be nice to have an "Ultimate G2 Carrara shaders kit" for all of them.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Unless someone comes up with some killer piece of content that I just can't do without that absolutely requires Callie 6 to work, I won't be buying her.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I think she's cute as pie... how could I NOT buy her! Though I haven't tried her out yet.
    The plan was: If I end up making my stuff more Tooney, I would use some of her into my Rosie (and other) characters. The fact that these Character sets come with separate Head and Body morphs along with the full one makes them really valuable to me. So I try to collect all or most of them.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

I don't think so. Callie was made by the marvelous "3D Universe" artist FOR DAZ 3D - I think upon their request. I think that the big flush of characters coming was a game plan to give folks a huge choice of shapes to mix and match, so-to-speak. I was one person who has replied positively to a questionnaire regarding the subject, so I guess I am part of the blame... but I must say that I love having a nice big pile of character morphs for my Genesis!

My Rosie character already uses a small bit of Girl 6 to get her just right. To me, Callie is a very welcome addition to Toon shape choice.
    Since all Genesis bases are free, i guess that they need to make money from it somehow. But to paint a somewhat clearer picture: the original name of Genesis 1 was Unimesh. So I think that the whole intention was to begin with an outstanding base figure system so that many new character shapes could all use the same base, wear the same clothes, utilize the same poses, etc., It's magic!

Anyways... just my two cents ;)

edited December 1969

This is a test render of Callie 6.
    Ouch!
    Nice work - as always - my friend! See? I'm glad I bought this one... I love that look!
    edited December 1969

LinkRS said:

I purchased the Pro Bundle tonight, and love your shader work , RingoMonfort, so you would have a sale from me :-)

Rich S.

Lucky!
    I really wanted that set, but ended up only getting the main figure... which is enough for me for now. But as for the rest of what you've said about Ringo and his shaders... yeah... same from me! I am on a mission to eventually own all of his works! Rock on Ringo (and Rich S)!!!
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Lovely render Ringo, but sorry I am still using k4 b4 m4 v4 .
    My apologies for not supporting you better.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Sadly I am using OR4C mostly these days and Callie not on my to buy list
    I have grabbed some of your other Genesis2 shaders but only used couple times
    now
    if you ever moved to Octane and making shaders for it I know I would snap them up as you certainly have a knack for getting stuff looking right.

edited December 1969

now
    if you ever moved to Octane and making shaders for it I know I would snap them up as you certainly have a knack for getting stuff looking right.

I do have plans to create Octane shaders. :)

Regards

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I got her a few days ago. Would love to have your shaders in the store.

ncamp

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,873
    edited December 1969

Question,

Thanks

Will pick her up later I, credit card still suffering from March Madness. Your shader looks great, so I'm interested.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

now

I do have plans to create Octane shaders. :)

Regards

that is great news indeed!

edited December 1969

Just a screen capture.

CallieCarrara.jpg
    1680 x 1015 - 630K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Ringo,
    This might seem like a strange post. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what the Carrara shaders for the various characters are intended to do. I assume blindly that the shaders provide presets for specular, diffuse, and maybe SSS so that Carrara users don't have to fuss around with these values themselves?

Perhaps a side by side comparison of a figure, with default import settings and one with the Carrara optimized shader settings so people can see for themselves the real benefit the shaders provide.

Personally, I've always been curious as to how well the Carrara shaders for the given characters tend to sell and if they are often used in artwork. I see the work you put into them every time but I dont often see posts from other people relating to them so I'm wondering how many Carrara users prefer to find their own shading optimizations.

In some ways I am still new to Carrara, and I'm most certainly new to the shader tree. I think I would be the ideal customer for such products. I'm very interested in knowing how to rig humans to look the best as possible in Carrara and you seem like the person to talk to. Thanks for your advice.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Yes, yes yes Octane shaders yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Rashad ::)

Normally when you open a figure in Carrara,. it'll translate the shaders, from Poser or DS, but some settings are lost or are incorrect for Carrara, ..such as using "Ref maps" to fake scene reflections.

If you load up a G1/ G2 figure, then go to the shader room, you'll notice that some channels, such as Bump, or specular, may not even have the texture map's loaded at all.

V4 / M4 shader's also have issues which need to be tweaked for better results.

Carrara's Lighting, shaders, and Render engine are different from Poser / DS
    to get the best results from shaders, they should ideally be tweaked to work correctly in whatever lighting and rendering system you're using.

The same principle applies to creating, or (translating) Daz3D figure shaders for use in Octane.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Ringo,
    This might seem like a strange post. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what the Carrara shaders for the various characters are intended to do. I assume blindly that the shaders provide presets for specular, diffuse, and maybe SSS so that Carrara users don't have to fuss around with these values themselves?

Hi Rashad,

You are correct. The character shaders do provide presets for specular, diffuse, bump, SSS etc.

Perhaps a side by side comparison of a figure, with default import settings and one with the Carrara optimized shader settings so people can see for themselves the real benefit the shaders provide.

Excellent suggestion and I do have a few of those that I do when I start working on the shaders to see how the character looks before I start the shading process and the end result. Some of the characters look like zombies before I start the shading process. They look dead with no natural skin colors.

Personally, I've always been curious as to how well the Carrara shaders for the given characters tend to sell and if they are often used in artwork. I see the work you put into them every time but I dont often see posts from other people relating to them so I'm wondering how many Carrara users prefer to find their own shading optimizations.

I would like to setup an image render contest for the Character Shaders to see what customers can do with the shaders. The winner(s) would get say two of the future shaders sets to be release as prizes. I just need someone to help me host the contest. ;)

Regards

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Ringo, did you do the Carrara optimized shaders that came with C8.5 Pro for the Genesis 1 figures?

Are the ones you make for your store higher resolution than the ones that came with C8.5 Pro?

edited December 1969

Ringo, did you do the Carrara optimized shaders that came with C8.5 Pro for the Genesis 1 figures?

Are the ones you make for your store higher resolution than the ones that came with C8.5 Pro?

Hi,

I wasn't the one that did the C8.5 Pro Genesis 1.
    The ones I make for the store are very different.

Regards

edited April 2015

This is the default shaders for Mei Li 6. Not too fancy

DEFAULT.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 50K
    test_1.jpg
    900 x 921 - 269K
    Post edited by ringo monfort on
    edited December 1969

Samples of the DP Mei Li 6 Carrara shaders.

Lips_test.jpg
    1000 x 594 - 269K
    Closeup_promo.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 530K
    popup_2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 391K
    main.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 381K
    edited December 1969

Now here is Mei Lin 6 using the DP Victoria 6 Carrara shaders.

Mei_Lin_6_2.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 186K
    Mei_Lin_6_1.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 181K