Another survey that doesn't list Carrara as an option.

ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So I just got another survey from Daz that doesn't have Carrara in the list of programs. I couldn't complete it because I couldn't answer honestly. Hey Daz! I don't use Daz Studio, I use Carrara 8.5 exclusively.
I did want to answer the last 2 questions I saw though,

Q What is your favorite thing about Daz?
A Carrara 8.5 pro

Q What is your least favorite thing about Daz?
A The way Daz barely acknowledges that Carrara exists.

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

I answered without answering the first question and just pasted into the fields

You haven't added Carrara to the list.. That's what I use 99% of the time

and then rated them very low for the questions

and answered the last 2 like you did..

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

I don't ever get these surveys!

In the hope that someone from Daz sees this: I have Daz3D, but never use it. I only use Carrara. I have bought quite a few models from Daz, all for use in Carrara.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

I don't ever get these surveys!

In the hope that someone from Daz sees this: I have Daz3D, but never use it. I only use Carrara. I have bought quite a few models from Daz, all for use in Carrara.

In the past I've heard of many DAZ surveys that I never got, in spite of my many hundreds of purchases. I did get this one, and gave answers similar to those mentioned above, i.e. Carrara!

• rubidiumrubidium Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

To the question "Why don't yoou use Daz Studio" I have answered something like "Because I use Carrara, a software developed by DAZ3D"...

Ramon

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

mebbe daz brokers carrara? or they don't make as much selling carrara content?

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Just as well they didn't send me one - the answers would have to be X-rated :)

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Got the survey... answered pretty much like everybody above. All 3D programs except Carrara listed... and this was a Daz Survey?? Huh? Made no sense..

- Don

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Well, here's more bad news for you. For a moment I played "newbie curious browser person" and looked for a way to buy Carrara, Hexagon, or Bryce. Nothing!

They used to be easy to find. But now the only "software" shown when you click that link on the main page is... DAZ Studio, hey it's Free!

I think this is the writing on the wall, and everybody probably needs to start looking at alternatives if you haven't done so yet. Oh well, at least I hear that fonts were fixed in the latest release of Carrara. I'll download this weekend, but really I only use Carrara as a quick-fix kind of tool. One never knows when a good use for an old hammer will pop up. Carrara is sort of like that to me, so it's in my toolbox. Well, at the bottom of the toolbox. :cheese:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Well there is a beta so that shows at least some commitment.
    Brycers should be more worried IMO.

edited December 1969

It sounds to me like the beta was a looonnnnggg time in the making. Sounds like it's been light on developer resources, plus the big item for me, fonts, comes with a big disclaimer "May not always work correctly" or something like that. This sort of excuse-making seems to happen at product end of life. Without any advertisement on the main site, in the store, nor even so much as a tile in the rotating banner page, I definitely think we're seeing the last of Carrara.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I've resigned myself to living in a world without Carrara (as soon as this one breaks, that is).

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited May 2015

I'm a little more optimistic. From a business standpoint, Carrara is a low maintanence Poser migrant attractor.

From a user pov, within 3 years I've migrated "up" from iClone to DS to Carrara, and I can't go backwards in basic CG animation functionalities. Carrara is the only non-DS tool that does TriAx Genesis. If Carrara becomes orphaned I will have to dis-invest in Genesis and its product lines, leave the Daz3D system and move on to Lightwave or Blender.

I'm a ZBrusher but I do shop Daz3D store for utilities and content. Carrarists also have the technical knowhow to move on to other Carrara-like tools. But I think Daz3D knows and is pragmatic about it.

I'm not sentimental either way. If DS gets all Carrara's main attraction, dynamic cloth, dynamic fiber hair, collision, hard physics, "fluid" physics, instancing prowess, iray IPR, all the better. I will still stick with the Daz3D sphere. But until then, DS is no Carrara substitute. That's why I gladly anticipate next Carrara beta.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

False alarm? I just went into the Shop area of the site and typed Carrara in the Search box. It came up just like normal.

- Don

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

False alarm? I just went into the Shop area of the site and typed Carrara in the Search box. It came up just like normal.

- Don

It's an easy mistake to make. By default the store doesn't show items that we've already purchased, so... it appears vanished at first.

If someone selects on 'shop' above to go into the store and scrolls down to the list of all products, and then re-organizes the results using the right-hand dropdown by either 'Trending Now' or 'Most Popular' and then unclicks the checkbox for 'hide items I own', Carrara 8.5 always - every singe time I have checked over the past several months going back for a long time now - is within the top 30 best-selling items, many times much higher (I just checked, and it's in the top 10 at the moment, both for most popular and trending now).

Does this mean DAZ is going to be smart enough to keep developing Carrara? Who knows? To misquote Captain Mal Reynolds from Serrenity, "I've never credited Daz with an overabundance of brains." Could become an abandonware product tomorrow for all I know.

But I'm glad they fixed the font issue (at least so I hear, as I haven't downloaded/installed the latest release yet to see for myself), and development has continued at least to this point, so that's encouraging.

edited May 2015

Jonstark said:
    By default the store doesn't show items that we've already purchased, so... it appears vanished at first.

Okay, then why does DS show up with its own huge marketing and sales pages? Why DS? Why Genesis 2? It's all over the place.

My point is, Carrara USED TO BE important enough to have a whole sale page dedicated to it, featuring sexy Ranger Girl complete with bow and arrow and product videos and more! But today it's just a little product page with no more visibility than a bundle of library books, kitchen tools, ancient axes, or anything else available in the store. And Carrara is pretty much invisible now if you already bought it.

This is a HUGE difference in promotion to me, and I take it as DAZ's telegraphing future intent for the product. No promotion = no future. Unless somebody can prove me wrong, I'll just wait for the official announcement from DAZ.

By the way, this is not pessimism. I've been to this rodeo before with other software makers, so I'm just being a realist and making use of my past experiences.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

But I'm glad they fixed the font issue (at least so I hear, as I haven't downloaded/installed the latest release yet to see for myself),

Is this what you are referring to?

File : Preferences : Interface Font,

You can enlarge the font size a little bit. It works.

preferences_font.JPG
    511 x 509 - 46K