Easily distribute props, figure assets

mikey186mikey186 Posts: 84
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello, I made a model and rigged it with daz and I was wondering, is there a way to package the files for distribution? Apparently, I looked all over the internet but I found nothing. help?? I can't like painstakingly create a zip file with the geometry with other dependices. I tried it once, but apparently, the required files are missing (in which I forgot to add into the ZIP, and the model went AWRY.

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

What is the model? Is it a completely independent figure or clothing?

• mikey186mikey186 Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Well for now, i made a 3D prop model, almost rigged with 3D parts positioned

edited December 1969

Meant to also ask, are you distributing for DAZ Studio or Poser or both? The way you set up your folders will indicate to the user where to put things.

edited April 2015

DAZ Studio. I just need like any easy way to package it for distribution. At least hopefully a packaging tool comes to DAZ (as script) in the near future

Post edited by mikey186 on
  • NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

I'm packing up a freebie prop/model as well and want to make sure I set it up right, so if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

- Thanks

edited April 2015

I found this, see if it is helpful to you.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
    edited December 1969

seems......but it's missing a way what files to put into the zip. like do I copy some parts of the 'data' folder....?

• VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

mikey186 said:
    seems......but it's missing a way what files to put into the zip. like do I copy some parts of the 'data' folder....?

I'm no pro at this but here's what I do with zips its messy but it works, so it may give you ideas. Say I'm wanting to give away a table I made.

On my desktop I'll make an empty folder we'll call it Table Ver01. Open that file in one window then in another window open the file that contains the parts you need (this will vary depending on the program you used to create it). I'll locate all the bits of my table and COPY, not move, the files to the new folder. Once all sub folders are copied you can create your zip or rar.

2 things to keep in mind:

First, and related to what you asked, you need to be sure you have all the needed sub folders set up in the same folder hierarchy that D|S uses. If you are unsure what you should have; go find a product similar to the one you want to package in your installed content of DIM and see where all the bits were installed. Data, runtime, people. light. camera. scene,.shader, etc these are all folders used by D|S versions of products. If yer bits aren't in the Right place D|S won't know where to look for them.

Second is the zip size. If its getting too big it's ok to split you package into more than one zip just make sure you label accordingly i.e. Table ver01 1 of 2 then Table ver01 2 of 2.