Octane Render losing focus - how to maintain focus on a character?

teknostormteknostorm Posts: 163
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

When I setup an animation in carrara with camera movement and render in octane render, there are two options - autofocus and choose focus.

When I choose autofocus, the camera loses focus of the main character many times, when the character is away from the centre of the frame.

When I select a focus point somewhere, then when the camera moves away or close the focus point shifts away from the main character and he/she gets blurred. Which means I have to manually sit during the render and cancel render at times when it loses focus of the character and choose a new focus point then start render again.

Is there an easier way I am missing to keep the main character in focus? Can I keyframe in new focus points from time to time in the animation?

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

When I setup an animation in carrara with camera movement and render in octane render, there are two options - autofocus and choose focus.

When I choose autofocus, the camera loses focus of the main character many times, when the character is away from the centre of the frame.

When I select a focus point somewhere, then when the camera moves away or close the focus point shifts away from the main character and he/she gets blurred. Which means I have to manually sit during the render and cancel render at times when it loses focus of the character and choose a new focus point then start render again.

Is there an easier way I am missing to keep the main character in focus? Can I keyframe in new focus points from time to time in the animation?

There must be some sort of feature that allows the camera to track a given object. Have you looked at the Otoy forums for help on this matter? I would suspect the stand alone version has this. We might just need to ask Sighman when it would be implemented in the plug-in. Hopefully soon.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Technostorm ::)

When you set the "DOF depth of field" in the Carrara camera, ...that creates a key-frame in the sequencer time-line.
    and since Octane is rendering out the view from the Carrara camera, it'll also change focus depending on the DOF keys set.

You can also work in the Octane view-port, by using the "Set Focus Point" tool, to click in the view to set a point,..
    This will also create a key-frame in the Sequencer time-line in Carrara

You should scan through your animations, (before rendering) just to check where the focus is, and the other aspects of your animation are working , such as the animation timing,, lighting / shadows, or shaders.

Save and load "Render targets".

You can create a "draft" version", "Render target" and save it.... something like 50 or100 samples, per frame,. see what that looks like, adjust as needed,.
    When you're ready to go,.. load in your "production version" "Render target" settings, and render the higher quality version..

Hope it helps :)