Any other Mac Users Get Kernel Panics in DAZ?

404nicg404nicg Posts: 270
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've started getting them pretty suddenly. It usually happens after I've gotten done rendering or sometimes while IPR is going, but not necessarily.

Anybody else experienced this or know what could be the problem?

My system specs are:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Mac OSX 10.7.5

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

404nicg said:
    I've started getting them pretty suddenly. It usually happens after I've gotten done rendering or sometimes while IPR is going, but not necessarily.

Three things I can think of that can bring them on, suddenly, without an update to the OS or the program being run at the time...and none of the three are very good.

1. Hard drive...bad sectors/head clashing.
    2. Bad RAM...memory problems, especially when doing a memory intensive task.
    3. Bad video card/other peripheral device.

• 404nicg404nicg Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    404nicg said:

Three things I can think of that can bring them on, suddenly, without an update to the OS or the program being run at the time...and none of the three are very good.

1. Hard drive...bad sectors/head clashing.
    2. Bad RAM...memory problems, especially when doing a memory intensive task.
    3. Bad video card/other peripheral device.

whelp that's exactly what I didn't want to hear thank you very much

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

That's what my last Linux machine did when the OS drive croaked...it was fine for surfing the internet, but do anything 'hard' and panic city.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

If you've got Apple Care, you might give them a jingle. If you get a kernel panic once in a while, it may not be serious. If it becomes repetitve, it's definitely something to look into. Check the Apple site. I know in the past, they've had me try zapping PRam and there's something else now on newer models which I can't recall at the moment.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    edited December 1969

You could try the following and see it will help

1. Run Disk Utility and Verify & Repair Permissions then Very Disk

2. Reset the SMC by doing the following - Turn your mac completely off, Unplug the Power Cord from mac, Unplug Power Cord from mains, Press Power Button for 15 secs, Plug Power Cord back into mac, Plug Power Cord back into the mains, Turn on mac.

3. Update to the latest version of OS X which is 10.10.3

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    That's what my last Linux machine did when the OS drive croaked...it was fine for surfing the internet, but do anything 'hard' and panic city.

It's odd because I haven't gotten a panic in any other resource intensive programs..only when DAZ is open

edited December 1969

If you've got Apple Care, you might give them a jingle. If you get a kernel panic once in a while, it may not be serious. If it becomes repetitve, it's definitely something to look into. Check the Apple site. I know in the past, they've had me try zapping PRam and there's something else now on newer models which I can't recall at the moment.

I've had it for a while now (a little more than 3 years) so it's out of warranty but I'm thinking about taking it to the genius bar to see what they say. I did a smc reset a while ago i might try a pram reset to see if that does any good

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069
    edited December 1969

One more possibility, if it primarily happens after a render - heat. Check your fans and make sure the cpu heat sink is clean.

edited December 1969

PlatnumK said:
    You could try the following and see it will help

1. Run Disk Utility and Verify & Repair Permissions then Very Disk

2. Reset the SMC by doing the following - Turn your mac completely off, Unplug the Power Cord from mac, Unplug Power Cord from mains, Press Power Button for 15 secs, Plug Power Cord back into mac, Plug Power Cord back into the mains, Turn on mac.

3. Update to the latest version of OS X which is 10.10.3

thanks i've reset the smc recently..i just tried running disk utility and repairing permissions i'll see if that works out

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2015

also check, your Boot HD space. If it's under 10GB of free space don't be too surprised if it's panicking on intensive tasks, 16GB RAM or not.

Remove any anti-virus, clean_my_anything, 3rd party running app to test stablilty.

If it continues:

Check for any updates (especially firmware) for your OS (10.7), it's likely you wont see any though.
    You don't have to update to Yosemite 10.10.3 but you are eligible for a free update to it. Be advised the Apple forums are writhe with complaints about video functionality in 10.10.3 before you take any leaps of faith.

Disconnect any device you don't need to test other than your USB keyboard and USB mouse, this would be external HD's, USB printers, FlashDrives, etc. Reboot and try and duplicate the problem.

Boot into repair mode (⌘+R) and repair your disk. Doing it from boot will bypass any overhead from the OS.

You should check your RAM with this tool when time allows. It takes a while to complete the test when done correctly and some techs suggest you do it twice to verify functionality.
    http://www.memtest86.com/

It was also mentioned by namffuak to check fans, vents, overheating already on this thread (+1 btw), but you have an intel GPU which leads me to believe you have an iMac, Macbook or Mini, and unless you handy with a set of Torx wrenches you may just want to spray some compressed air in the vents and save yourself the agony of pulling apart a smaller mac. The Mac Pro's are like luxury liners when you need to upgrade, the other macs are like "Fantastic Voyage" after you deciphered the Hellraiser-esque puzzle box and get the cover off thinking your home free.

If the problem persists despite the preventive measures it's often necessary to backup, reformat the drive and do a clean install of the OS.

Post edited by StratDragon on