How do I set a new UV map for the Cube Primitive?

FMM_UWF_6b886030dbFMM_UWF_6b886030db Posts: 24
edited December 1969 in New Users

So I load up the New Primitive: Cube.
I set each side to its own Material.
Now, I want to make sure that, instead of each side taking up 1/6th of the default UV map, I want each side to have its own full-area UV map.
As in, you set a diffuse to a side and that entire picture takes up that side, INSTEAD of a the default "fraction of the pic showing and then having to tweak the Horizontal and Vertical Tiling to get the whole texture to fit".

Is there a way to do it directly in DS without having to open it into a separate editor/UV mapping program?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447
    edited April 2015

You could adjust the tiling settings in the Surface pane, so that the image was shrunk to fill the face just once. You'd want to set Vertical tiles to 2 and horizontal tiles to 3.

Fitting_image_to_cube_primitive.JPG
    1570 x 727 - 116K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • FMM_UWF_6b886030dbFMM_UWF_6b886030db Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Actually, that's exactly the thing I DIDN'T want to do.

I wanted to change the UV mapping ITSELF inside DS (without having to run an exported OBJ through UVMapper or some unwrapper in a separate 3d modeling program), so that I WOULDN'T have to change the tiling settings.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

DS isn't a modeler, so as far as mapping tools go, it has less than basic ones.

In order to do anything other than tiling, it will need to be run through a modeler/UV mapper.

Or, even better, build a cube and map it in a modeler...the primitives in DS are just too basic, without outside 'help'.

I had a cube, six material zones, each one a separate UV map...so each face was its own map and zone. I'm not sure if I can find it, but if I do I'll throw it up somewhere.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447
    edited December 1969

What are you wanting to achieve? If you want to make each face a separate surface, so that you can use different maps on each (with the tiling trick) use the Geometry Editor tool to select all the polygons of one face, right-click, Geometry Assignment>Create new Surface from Selected and give it a name. Repeat for four other faces, leaving the last assigned to the original surface, and you can texture each separately.