DS 4.8 not recognising nVidia GPU

edited April 2015 in New Users

Trying to use new geforce gpu for Iray, 4.8 does not detect it, cuda installation said it didnt recognize any hardware but i downloaded it anyway.

So my device manager says i have a geforce 660 gpu in display adapters, great. but some reason, my monitor and daz 4.8 in iray render settings do not detect it. Any idea what I could do to fix this?

Edited to shorten title - original title now in first paragraph

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Do you know if you have on-board video as well as the card? If so, did you install the Nvidia drivers for your 660? Go into the Nvidia control panel and choose Manage 3D Settings on the left. IIRC in there, on the Program Settings tab, is an option to choose what program uses what card. Set Daz Studio to use the 660.

If this isn't the cause, and you don't have on-board video at all, then I have no idea.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Is this a Mac or a Windows system? As far as I am aware downloaded CUDA drivers are needed only for recent Macs.

• edited December 1969

Hi so my computer is running windows 8. And as far as the nvidia control panel goes, for some reason the icon is there in the regular control panel for the nvidia one but when I try to open it nothing happens. Lol ill figure it out

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 1969

You may already know this, but it may bear mentioning anyway. If you downloaded and installed the drivers from Nvidia, but the card is not working correctly, there are several possible causes.

One would be as Vaskania mentioned: you had onboard video (likely with a recent system) and that is set as the default video chip. Disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS or through Control Panel should address this. There aren't many good reasons for anyone to run both onboard and add-in video at the same time, even though it is possible with Intel processors.

A second possibility is that you had another add-in card installed, especially if it was an AMD card, and you are experiencing a driver conflict. The procedure when switching cards should be to uninstall the old drivers first, then install the new card and install new drivers, in order to avoid problems.

A third possibility is that there is a problem with the card itself. It may still show up in Control Panel since that is really showing the driver as being installed. If you have quick boot or whatever it may be called in Windows these days enabled, disable it temporarily so you can see the POST messages onscreen as the system boots. The first message should be your video card being recognized by the system. That's hardware, not software, since at that point neither Windows nor the drivers have loaded yet. That will at least tell you the system can see and correctly identify your video hardware. If it doesn't show up you may have a hardware problem.

Lastly, it may be that the driver didn't download or install correctly and is corrupted in some way. Usually this would mean that you don't get a display at all, but with onboard video on the processor, it could kick in so you don't see the problem. Uninstall, re-download and reinstall.

If none of this works or makes sense, please post back with your full system specs as that can help us solve the issue (i.e. Windows 8, yes, but 32 or 64-bit? Processor make and model. installed memory, motherboard. The driver version that you are attempting to install can be helpful as well - just give the full driver file name).

• edited December 1969

Thanks so much, it was the driver