How to rig non genesis clothes on genesis baby?

natclarkenatclarke Posts: 79
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have created a genesis baby. I was able to place clothing on him (millennium Baby clothes: non- genesis)

How do I rig the clothing so that it will move with the model when I create different poses.

I have both Daz and Carrara 8.5.

(a) Just want the quickest and easiest way if possible? I am new so I require step by step instructions.

(b) How do I find the poses that come with him in Carrara? It is not showing up in Carrara under poses

thanks

Natalie

carrarababy.png
943 x 853 - 186K

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,344
    edited December 1969

Hello

Have you used Autofit in DAZ3D before ?

One option is to save the clothes as a wearable preset in DAZ3D after Autofit has been used in DAZ.
    Then load the Duf file into Carrara.

Diomede did a post as regards Genesis in Carrara, might be worth a read for you to get your head around the issues.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/#664507

Dartanbeck also did a Conforming Clothes post that is worth reading as well.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55027/#800376

Please post if you know that you need futher information, someone is bound to help out.

Regards, Bunyip

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Hi. It looks like you have a specific genesis shape that you are modeling too, not the default genesis shape. Here is a link to Daz on using the transfer utility if your clothes are optimized for a custom shape rather than the default shape.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/rigging/tutorials/modeling_against_a_genesis_shape/start

Note, using Carrara as the modeler, you will still have to export the cloth objects in the correct scale and load in Daz Studio to use the transfer utility. The links that Bunyip provided above will help with that. Do read Dartanbeck's process that Bunyip linked to above. It has a lot of great tips for creating cloth items in general.

edited December 1969

By the way, very cute outfit. Good job.

edited April 2015

RE: finding purchased genesis poses, etc.

I don't have the genesis baby product, but I do have the genesis evolution morphs from which it is derived. Until someone with the actual product comes along, you might find the following helpful if the product producer used the same file structure.

In Carrara's CONTENT browser tab (not smart content), look for a "people" folder within the My Daz3D Library. Within that, look for a "Genesis" subfolder. Within that, there is a subfolder for "poses" which are designed for Genesis. In the attached pic, I show a subfolder for "basic child" poses for genesis. If the producer used the standard approach, a similar subfolder may be there for the baby.

However, it is not uncommon for a producer to create a subfolder for the character shape as a subfolder under Genesis characters (perhaps "baby"? or named after the producer?) This custom subfolder may have poses, materials, etc.

If you don't find what you are looking for in an obvious place, and if you installed using DIM, you can check for file locations using DIM. Use the DIM search box to find your purchased product. Right-click the line with the product to bring up an options menu. Choose "show installed files" and note the path/location. Use Carrara's content browser to navigate to the location of the installed poses, etc.

baby_for_genesis_2a.jpg
    1669 x 929 - 429K
    baby_folders_2a.jpg
    1778 x 996 - 227K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • natclarkenatclarke Posts: 79
    edited April 2015

Thank you. I have followed the tutorials.

(1) I placed the model in cararra and exported as an obj file.

Loaded into

(2) Import Clothing

(3) Start Transfer Utility. Used edit/ object/ transfer facility. Below are the settings I used.

(4) That is no longer on the head but rather between the legs. Not sure what else to do?

Thanks

Natalie

Image removed

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Hi Natalie. Because I don't have the same product, why don't we find "a" solution just to get you going, then return to what might be your ideal solution later.

The baby you are using is based on Genesis. "A" solution is to model the clothing item to the base genesis shape, use the transfer utility to rig the cloth items to genesis, and then use autofit apply the cloth to the baby shape. This is what Bunyip suggested above, and there is a step-by-step illustration (for genesis 2) here.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/#676987

OK, so try that to solve the immediate issue in an imperfect way. Just substitute Genesis for where the post uses Genesis 2 female.

Then in the future you will want to have the cloth item optimized for the shape that you want, not merely "fit to." For that, the Daz link I provided has the basic approach, but apparently not enough detail It appears that you are either missing a step in the transfer utility or selecting the wrong shape, or something like that. But without the product, I can't exactly reproduce what is going on.

Hopefully, others can diagnose and clarify whatever the issue is for your custom shape so you can get an optimized shape in the future.

edited December 1969

Note - in my suggestion above, make sure to load Genesis default figure in Carrara and model the cap and babysuit to that. Don't try to place the hat etc. where the baby shape results.

edited December 1969

Note 2 - you do not have to start from scratch. Load genesis and the objects you have already modeled (vertex objects, not rigged figures). Then use modeling in the assemble room to move/adjust the cap and clothes to fit Genesis. Then rescale and export from Carrara to load in Studio in proper size to fit Genesis. In Studio, with Genesis default loaded with the hat/clothes that fit genesis, use the transfer utility to make the clothes a wearable preset. Then the wearable presets can be applied to the genesis baby in Studio or in Carrara and auto-fit the outfit to fit the baby.

• natclarkenatclarke Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Finally worked it out. Yay with lots of help. I needed to work from original Genesis rather than the baby in Carrara. Then fit it to genesis figure in Daz and then Morph back to the baby! Thanks heaps!

Just a quick question. How do I fix up the shaping so the stomach doesn't look so big and also the back of the shirt etc?

tubby.png
    532 x 1048 - 401K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited December 1969

Please remember to give your figures clothes or to remove the textures (or work in smooth shaded view so the textures don't show) when taking screen shots.