Hexagon crashes when exporting .obj

I have a twofold problem, creating relatively simple 3D objects. No dynamic geometry, no complicated UV issues, nothing particularly big. First problem, sending brand new objects across the Daz bridge never gets anywhere. Edited Daz objects, yep, they go through fine, but any new geometries seem to fall off the bridge half way, with no error messages. (Hexagon acts like it did everything it was supposed to and passes me over to Daz, which just sits there like "what do you want?")

So I tried exporting as .obj files. That was working for a while, but has suddenly stopped: when I accept the options in the export dialogue, I get the "system busy" cursor for 3 or 4 seconds and then Hexagon just vanishes.

I saw advice in an ancient thread about turning off OpenGL, but nothing changed. Using Hexagon 2.5.2.109 on Win10. Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Comments

• I'm using 2.5.2.137 (64 bit version), you may need to update, check Install Manager for "Hexagon 2.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build+Beta+".

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516

Which build of DS are you using?

When sending new objects via the bridge to DS, a new instance of DS will be opened. Daz changed DS in later builds and DS will now only allow one instance of DS to be running. So if Using later version of DS, you will need to make sure DS is closed (not running) before sending new objects from Hex to DS.

As for Hex crashing when exporting .obj files. That sounds like bad geometry. The version of Hex you are using did cause some issues with various tools. You should use latest beta as mentioned by WDJ.

• JalnorJalnor Posts: 5

Trying these fixes now, will let you know. Thanks :-)

(It's weird, I only installed them on this machine a couple of weeks ago... that they could be so out of date so quickly is surprising)

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2022

The problem is Jalnor (for me anyway) is knowing which version of Hexagon you are downloading. Another thing you have to check is the bridge locations on both apps (see link).

I screengrabbed my DIM so you can see what I got to get my head around, serial numbers are another problem, I have 3 to choose from :)

That didn't work, the link I tried opened my gallery rather than the image, one day I'll figure it out laugh

hex installed.jpg
    1920 x 1028 - 661K
    Bridges.jpg
    1255 x 496 - 83K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
    edited March 2022

Install Manager seems to have been superseded by Daz Central, which is what got installed when I started using this machine. I can find no way in that to opt in to betas and it reckoned that Hexagon was already up to date. I did get a new version of Daz, which looks no different...

If anyone knows how to do betas with that, I'll give it a shot.

Now to attempt bridging with Daz closed.
    Edit: the bridge file locations were actually among the first things I looked up when it started going wrong. Confirmed they're correct.

Post edited by Jalnor on
    edited March 2022

Jalnor said:

Now to attempt bridging with Daz closed.

Hrn... Hexagon didn't crash. It also didn't open Daz indecision

Edit: They say always try 3 times to be sure. Third time was the charm, Daz opened. Object is marginally different than in Hexagon, but is accepting textures just fine. Thanks, all!

Post edited by Jalnor on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2022

If you submit a ticket (see "Contact Us" at the bottom of the screen) and explain what is happening they may add the Beta version to your account, fingers crossed. Hopefully things will continue to work for you.

I find this version very stable, maybe coz I avoid things that would previously cause a crash.

Edit to add, I'm using DS version 4.20.08 - that might be a PA thing, if you have not got this then let me know and edit this. 

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on