Help ! :) Ideas needed for working En plein air

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi, well I've been invited to an En plein air show alongside a bunch of very talented artists. It's on the day where there is a big walk along five beaches south of here that has 17,000 visitors

and afterwards on the day (along with the other artists) my work gets hung in a small gallery and then 6 months later (after working it up) it gets hung in a Regional Gallery (which is really exciting)

My problem: I have been invited a s a digital artist, rather than an easel artist. I wanted to say 'no' but the opportunity is too good to pass up.

Now I normally work with a massive monitor and a massive PC at home and my little laptop is just a fancy wordprocessor . I've got no idea of how I am going to work this, especially as the light here is so bright it's hard tyo see anything you do on an LCD screen anyway.

Looking for suggestions. Any suggestions

EG working methods - the best I can think of is erect a big cardboard box around myself and peak out of a hole - but that wont really help interaction with the on lookers etc.

Any suggestions at all welcome - I didn't really want to go and spend 3000 on a new laptop though....

cheers from oz :)

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

get the genny out :-)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

If the organizers are inviting "digital artists", I would hope that they would realize that they would need to provide a power source for them.
    Or it could be that they are just clueless as to how digital artists create their works.

Solving the sunlight problem is another matter. Perhaps a small canopy could be erected over your workstation to mitigate some of the problem.
    Also, maybe an anti-glare film such as "NuShield DayVue Antireflective Screen Protector Film" might help.
    http://www.nushield.com/dayvu-info

I have no direct experience with this product, so I can't say how effective it is.

Good luck!

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,220
    edited December 1969

Are you painting or setting up scenes and rendering or what?

Most artists that work "plein air" do use a tablet or a laptop with a digital drawing tablet, or a cintiq (or similar). Otherwise it can be quite cumbersome.

Of course, you need to make sure what your electrical needs will be and whether they can accomodate for that.

You could possibly set up a small desk (a friend used to make pieces made from fortified fedex boxes). I've made some from mason boards with hinges and braces.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    get the genny out :-)

ah, great idea, hadn't thought of that :) Can I get a solar powered one :)

edited April 2015

de3an said:
    If the organizers are inviting "digital artists", I would hope that they would realize that they would need to provide a power source for them.
    Or it could be that they are just clueless as to how digital artists create their works.

Solving the sunlight problem is another matter. Perhaps a small canopy could be erected over your workstation to mitigate some of the problem.
    Also, maybe an anti-glare film such as "NuShield DayVue Antireflective Screen Protector Film" might help.
    http://www.nushield.com/dayvu-info

I have no direct experience with this product, so I can't say how effective it is.

Good luck!

Well, I had a chat with the organisers (a very good traditional painter) and he asked me how I worked

, well I explained I worked in three dimensional space, with small little dots call vertices, then I built them up into polygons, skinned them, morphed them, textured them then lit them like a stage producer, after setting up an imaginary camera with a multitude of possible viewpoints and that nothing I did really existed in reality

........... well you can imagine

I think the general feeling is that digital means drawing on your ipad.....

thankyou for that link "NuShield DayVue Antireflective Screen Protector Film"

I think that will really help !

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Are you painting or setting up scenes and rendering or what?

Most artists that work "plein air" do use a tablet or a laptop with a digital drawing tablet, or a cintiq (or similar). Otherwise it can be quite cumbersome.

Of course, you need to make sure what your electrical needs will be and whether they can accomodate for that.

You could possibly set up a small desk (a friend used to make pieces made from fortified fedex boxes). I've made some from mason boards with hinges and braces.

Hi Cris, thanks for that advice.

I will be modelling the scene in front of me and (I think) I will render it at different times of the day with different organic objects moving through the scene, or non organic objects that change, like traffic lights, or a garbage being filled up, etc. When I say modelling I will be using mashups of preconstructed models. So I am going for a scene with buildings on one side, perhaps grass in the foreground, then beach, then ocean then a distant headland. That's what I hope, I havent seen the environs yet;

So the result on the first day will be a time lapse series of images.

It's there first year incorporating digital artists so they haven't made any accommodation for electrical needs.... I might have to invest in some back up batteries or work on two laptops.

I have a medium cintiq so hopefully can work that into the flow!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,344
    edited April 2015

Hello HeadWax

If the power side of things could be sorted out you could add a large digital TV screen as a second monitor for people to watch how you are progressing.
    A digital picture displays that you could load a heap of your work on to display say 60 seconds apart might be an option if you already have one or if your budget allows for one.

Otherwise you could do a series of printouts to display to show people the steps you take to do your digital art.
    That might get people hooked into having a peek over your shoulder as you work.
    You could also display some of your renders to show the variety of your work, including your surf board.

Regards, Bunyip

EDIT: Hope the rain stays away from your house with the Low thats just forming up.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Hi Headwax,

Congratulations on getting exposure for your work.

In a previous job I used to attend Powerpoint presentations where the laptop was projected onto a screen. The screen was a lightweight tripod kind of thing which just unrolled.

Perhaps a local school or business would have such a projector and screen - who knows maybe these things can be hired?

PS I don't know what a genny is - maybe that's the same thing.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Genny:- generator :)

edited December 1969

Ah - thanks.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,344
    edited December 1969

Digital Picture Frame

You could do screenshots as you go then post them in the picture frame.
    Battery operated ?
    Issue with bright light eg outdoors display ?
    USB drives & 1GB disk

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/shintaro-digital-photo-frame-15-mmshdpf15v

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I think it would be outstanding to take some of your incredible works that you've already made in Carrara and post, and have a print shop print them onto large media for you.

Congrats on the awesome opportunity!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Oddly I would have thought printed renders the expected format, big poster sized ones
    Kmart did a 12" x18" print for me of Jaderail for ten bucks!!
    Obviously you would go more pro and bigger. :lol:

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

As to the visibility issues, is it possible to use an awning or small tent/shelter like you see vendors at craft shows use? The sides are open, but the top is covered for shade and shelter? I think they're usually about a 10'x10' (3 meter X 3 meter) footprint.

edited April 2015

Bunyip02 said:
    Hello HeadWax

If the power side of things could be sorted out you could add a large digital TV screen as a second monitor for people to watch how you are progressing.
    A digital picture displays that you could load a heap of your work on to display say 60 seconds apart might be an option if you already have one or if your budget allows for one.

Otherwise you could do a series of printouts to display to show people the steps you take to do your digital art.
    That might get people hooked into having a peek over your shoulder as you work.
    You could also display some of your renders to show the variety of your work, including your surf board.

Regards, Bunyip

EDIT: Hope the rain stays away from your house with the Low thats just forming up.

Great idea Bunyip, that would be an ideal situation having the large TV screen set up. I wonder if I could swing it..... I think that would mean setting up in a shop front. Thanks for the warning on the storm!

edited December 1969

Hi Headwax,

Congratulations on getting exposure for your work.

In a previous job I used to attend Powerpoint presentations where the laptop was projected onto a screen. The screen was a lightweight tripod kind of thing which just unrolled.

Perhaps a local school or business would have such a projector and screen - who knows maybe these things can be hired?

PS I don't know what a genny is - maybe that's the same thing.

Thank you Marcus, I have a projector, great idea, I wonder if I can g et a power source, I guess that's what it boils down too. A projector will be easier to lug with a small screen.!

edited April 2015

Evil Bunyip Wendy Dart Stezza, thanks for that feedback!

Bunyip ....Yes, I have a digital 15 inch photo frame, but it's not battery operated yet!

Wendy, you know, if K mart make reasonable qulaity prints that's not a bad idea. I usually pay 55 bucks for pigment prints on water colour paper, my last one which is a reasonable size cost $400 (Jesus Christ one I posted a while back) So, near the end of the day I could have a few prints made if they do it on the spot for the after the plein air day show.... were you happy with t he print quality?

Evil et Stezza, thanks, I didnt realise they were so cheap... thinking thinking.....

Dart, ah yes I have a few large ones on my hands still, and in frames. Actually they have been more popular than I expected. My least expected sale was "The Death of Goldilocks" a dead little girl thrown from the church steeple... even I thought it was weird (That's the original tale of goldilocks by the way, except she was a little old lady) Thanks for your kindness too :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

It was not same day sadly
    next day though and I got a frame to fit it in from the reject shop for $5
    my sister in law got even cheaper poster prints made from photos at a small vietnamese run shop so there are places around.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Evil Bunyip Wendy Dart Stezza, thanks for that feedback!

Bunyip ....Yes, I have a digital 15 inch photo frame, but it's not battery operated yet!

Wendy, you know, if K mart make reasonable qulaity prints that's not a bad idea. I usually pay 55 bucks for pigment prints on water colour paper, my last one which is a reasonable size cost $400 (Jesus Christ one I posted a while back) So, near the end of the day I could have a few prints made if they do it on the spot for the after the plein air day show.... were you happy with t he print quality?

Evil et Stezza, thanks, I didnt realise they were so cheap... thinking thinking.....

Dart, ah yes I have a few large ones on my hands still, and in frames. Actually they have been more popular than I expected. My least expected sale was "The Death of Goldilocks" a dead little girl thrown from the church steeple... even I thought it was weird (That's the original tale of goldilocks by the way, except she was a little old lady) Thanks for your kindness too :)

You can usually rent those gazebos at rental shops pretty reasonably. Some even have set-up (probably for a fee).

edited April 2015

With a bit of work on the Gazebo you could have a temple ...

Then you just need V5, a sword and ..... are there any dragons in your part of the world?

Post edited by Hermit Crab on
    edited December 1969

It was not same day sadly
    next day though and I got a frame to fit it in from the reject shop for $5
    my sister in law got even cheaper poster prints made from photos at a small vietnamese run shop so there are places around.

thanks Wendy, it is an hour's drive from here so I will ring around.!

edited December 1969

Evil that's a good idea, thank you. We have been thinking of buying one so we can get some plain air painting done as well. Maybe this is the push we need.

Marcus, ha ha, if I get the DAZ logo on it then it will be a tax deduction :)