Creating Special Effects from scratch

acedrakeacedrake Posts: 41
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Salutations ladies and gendarmes. How are you all in this fine fine cold day? I was wondering if any of you know of any way to create my own special effects to add in Daz Studio. I mean creating light shows, lasers, magic stars the works. If any of you kind souls can point me in the right direction me and the Cat will be awfully in your debt. :) Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,594
    edited December 1969

acedrake said:
    Salutations ladies and gendarmes. How are you all in this fine fine cold day? I was wondering if any of you know of any way to create my own special effects to add in Daz Studio. I mean creating light shows, lasers, magic stars the works. If any of you kind souls can point me in the right direction me and the Cat will be awfully in your debt. :) Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Depending on the effect, it can be easiest & fastest to do this in post - in a 2D image editor. There are a bunch of products available from one vendor in particular that you may find helpful (I'm sure there are others as well):

http://www.daz3d.com/deviney

- Greg

• acedrakeacedrake Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply my friend. Yeah in post is quite easy but I want to have the knowledge of building my own magic effects and any other kind of effects and not beholden to what someone else creates. Once I know how to make one type of effect it would be easy then to create my own fire, tech or magic ones. I just need a place to start :)

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,934
    edited December 1969

acedrake said:
    Thanks for the reply my friend. Yeah in post is quite easy but I want to have the knowledge of building my own magic effects and any other kind of effects and not beholden to what someone else creates. Once I know how to make one type of effect it would be easy then to create my own fire, tech or magic ones. I just need a place to start :)

Well I'm surely no expert but what I do is to fiddle around in the Gimp (I guess Photoshop or similar programs can do that as well) with some effect I'd like to have, that has to have a black background, export that as a jpg.
    In DS I create an primitive (usually a plane) and load that jpg into the opacity map, Opacity should be on 100% if you want the full effect.
    With diffuse, specular and ambient you put the light and colour effect you want, now just position where you want it in your render.

• ok so is it actually possible to make moving special effects