Create Geoshell...?

I feel as though this is a really dumb question but I just can't see the answer myself (even though it's probably staring me in the face) - how do I go about creating a geoshell for a character?

I'm wanting to have a look at the vellus horizon hair shader and the first step in that is to create a geoshell to which the shader is then applied. The guidance just says 'apply a geoshell' assuming we'll all know how to do that. Not a criticism of the guidance at all, you understand, it's just I've never tried before and can't see where to start!

So, never ashamed to parade my ignorance, can someone please give me the pointers...?

Thanks!

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited March 2022

This bundle indeed does not have an icon to add a geoshell :/   ...

1/ Select Genesis 8 in the Scene Tab. Make the Geoshell manually :

Main Menu > Create > New Geometry Shell.

2/ Select the Geometry Shell in the Scene Tab. Click on the Icon USE FIRST :

Content Library > My DAZ Library > Shader Presets > Those Things > Vellus Horizon Shaders > USE FIRST

Then choose which hair system to add.

EDIT : Although I just tried that and I can't see anything that looks like vellus anywhere on the shell. I tried to apply the Vellus icons for the torso for example, while Torso in the Surfaces Tab is selected and... nothing as well. If you check the torso shader after applying the so called Vellus torso, the only bitmap loaded is an opactity map that doesn't look like hair at all...

Weird bundle... Promo pics were not convincing, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

"Peach Fuzz! Facial Vellus Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)"  gives way better results. As hairs are actual geometry.

Good luck.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • JansillaJansilla Posts: 36

Thanks, hansolocambo, I was hoping that was the case re. the DUF file but when I try and use that on my figure it makes the figure invisible and I can't see any reference to the geoshell itself in the scene window - which is what was throwing me.

If I follow the 'create new geometry shell' route you describe, however, (and thanks - I'm sure that wasn't there in that menu when I looked before(!)) and apply the shader to that, it all works as expected.

So thanks again for those pointers - I knew it would be something obvious!

edited March 2022

The Genesis figure becomes invisible because this USE FIRST icon sets up the iray shader for the geoshell (which is nothing more than an instance of Genesis with a slight positive offset). If the G8 is selected then the Geoshell texture is applied to the Genesis, making it invisible.

I edited my comment after actually trying the bundle. My bad, you were right, it does not create a geoshell for you. You have to do it. Poor choice for a DAZ bundle as usually they tend to be made as simple and intuitive as possible for users.

Cheers.

edited April 2022

So... I checked a bit more this bundle. ALl it does is load an opacity map on the geoshell. And load a displacement map (ugly black and white dots) that will slightly ? raise the subdivided geoshell geometry.

Honestly I made renders with and without the "vellus" applied and even in Photoshop both layers stacked... I can't tell the difference. And I don't see how a vulgar pixelated noise could in any way look like vellus anyway. Eventually with a big flash light behind the character... but even then it's really not convincing at all. Surprising that this vendor managed to convinced DAZ that this product was worth anything more than a freebie.

You should (even if options are rare) go for bundles that provide real geometry (so called "fibermesh" because they're often made in ZBrush) for hairs. Or use Blender to make your own with hair particles. Tons of tutorials around and it's impressively easy and fun to make your own (Create a particle hair system, use gravity to make vellus fall naturally, convert to mesh, etc. It takes 5-10 minutes really).

** Those already made vellus (real mesh) options are the only ones I know about for females.

The Peach Fuzz for G3 (or G8) looks amazing even today. One can feel that the vendor combed the small hairs with care and respecting the natural implantation of hair bulbs. That's a much more serious bundle already :

https://www.daz3d.com/peach-fuzz-facial-vellus-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

Or this one (didn't try it but it's similar and made by DAZ, so it's serious value stuff too) :

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-vellus-hair-for-babina-8

A lot of Mousso bundles also have vellus available.

Now I know what I'm doing, I concur with your conclusions about this pack - the effect produced is a hazy layer around the edge of the skin which might work as a quick and easy thing at medium distance. That said, I probably wouldn't bother with vellus hair except for close-ups and this is not really cutting it for me. I shall experiment further, perhaps following some of your suggestions.

Just to add that Mousso has some handy fibre-mesh facial vellus hair as part of several character packs. Although more resource-intensive than the geoshell based items, to my eye these give a more subtle and realistic look for close-up renders.

edited April 2022

Peach Fuzz! Facial Vellus Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s) gives nice results. Here's one of the many renders I did for a medical book a while ago. Vellus looks nice and is visible in HD. But once the image's reduced (to fit here) or printed on a book, even you know it's there, it's hardly noticeable.

Click on the image to be able to zoom to full size and get an idea. It's subtle but still pretty neat.

edited April 2022

Don't know how I missed that bundle. It's probably a recent one. Vellus is a bit too long in some areas but it's a very good alternative to other vellus options : "Vellus 2.1 Body Hair for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female" on another DAZ store.