Digital Carvers Guild show me some renders please

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Looking at anything grows for an octane fur solution but 100 strands has not convinced me to part with my munny yet.
The tiny render of ugly gibbon thing on your site has not either.
Can someone please post some anything grows renders of a decent size of furry critters and stuff to woo me over?
I at least know it will render in Octane but need a bit more of a nudge.

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited May 2015

I thought Holly did some cats with Grows, but she's not here anymore ...

Maybe try looking for some old posts from her, in the archives too before the forum change.
    EDIT Looks like the archive is down and has been for quite a while, sorry

Do I recall correctly that you have ZBrush too, I think its hair system can export geometry ...?

Post edited by cdordoni on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Considering it is a decade old plugin, the hair tutorial looks ok as rendered with Carrara 3. With more hairs on a modern CPU it should be good enough:

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/tutorial.php?TutorialId=14

• Eric WinemillerEric Winemiller Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Looking at anything grows for an octane fur solution but 100 strands has not convinced me to part with my munny yet.
    The tiny render of ugly gibbon thing on your site has not either.
    Can someone please post some anything grows renders of a decent size of furry critters and stuff to woo me over?
    I at least know it will render in Octane but need a bit more of a nudge.

Hi Wendy,

I don't have anything more than what's in the gallery, but for furry stuff I'd suggest using the texture mapped strands option.

Instead of trying to do lots and lots of strands because Octane needs geometry, do a few strands with a texture. It gives it a clumpier look that I think works better for fur and is a lot faster to render. I lost the original file and texture years ago, but I think it was just a bunch of drawn strands that faded from one end to the other. That technique is also probably a lot easier to test with the 100 strand demo limit.

Kicking it old school, you'll need Quicktime installed to view the animation.

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/gallerypopup.php?GalleryID=51&ProductId=5&Page=5

Regards,

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Any chance of a 64bit version for Carrara 8 Pro 64bit?
    In case 150 000 hairs go over the 2GB limit...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited May 2015

It works on my 64bit Carrara, the evaluation plugin that is
    I do animation and while I have made some messy Zbrush fibermesh coifs (I am struggling to learn it, it is hard) tbe LAMH ones I have done work better but both bog down Carrara too much and unless props need rigging, the LAMH I have rigged even as fur but Carrara hates it, it works better in iClone oddly enough.
    Also as triax rigged so duf imports, I tend to get too many errors on saved content.
    Forget Carrara rigging it, too high poly.
    I cannot Poser legacy rig and it MUST be in bone groups to avoid vertex stretching of hairs, LAMH loads it using existing groups on a figure so in DAZ studio I can select and fill with weightbrush tool mode, my Zbrush hairs do not have those groupings.

Thanks Eric,
    yes looked through Gallery a bit a still images, that vid I must check on my PC my Android browser does not support QT, I tend to not browse on my PC.
    I will try wide transmaped strands acting like hair flaps, I actually have tried replicating transmapped grasses on a figure so similar concept, ATG has gravity so may look better.

3D rendero that tute looks helpful, I did in fact make a shading domain on Vicky's head like the Poser figures have to limit growth and added a brown hairy texture.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited May 2015

snip

Kicking it old school, you'll need Quicktime installed to view the animation.

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/gallerypopup.php?GalleryID=51&ProductId=5&Page=5

Regards,

I had to find my rarely used Windows internet explorer shortcut to watch it but it worked

a quick transmap try

hair_anything_grows0000.jpg
    1277 x 1775 - 1M
    edited December 1969

having bone ticked results in many freeze ups
    I tried the sparse 100 hairs on milcat and it just froze trying to pose and had to kill carrara a few hours later in TM so not too confident about a full coat

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Any chance of a 64bit version for Carrara 8 Pro 64bit?
    In case 150 000 hairs go over the 2GB limit...

There is a 64bit version for C8.x, I am currently having a play with the evaluation version.

I have most of the other DSG plugins, do not know why I did not get this one.

edited December 1969

having bone ticked results in many freeze ups
    I tried the sparse 100 hairs on milcat and it just froze trying to pose and had to kill carrara a few hours later in TM so not too confident about a full coat

Hi Wendy,

I couldn't recreate the lock up, but Grows definitely isn't playing nicely with Millennium cat. The strands are flickering like the mesh is changing ordering as it animates. I'll dig into it and see if there's something I can do.

Thanks,

edited December 1969

Okay, found the problem with Millennium Kitty. If you'd like to give it another whirl, there's a beta version of Anything Grows for Carrara 8.x Windows 64-bit at

http://digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/beta/AnythingGrowsc8w64.zip

I'll post a formal update after I beat on it some more.

The attached image is not art, but shows what 50k alpha mapped strands look like in the Octane renderer demo.

Here's what I did

1. Built my animation first. It just makes everything faster if Grows isn't trying to keep up with you animating.
    2. Insert an Anything Grows primitive. Because it can detect the difference between model time and render time, it keeps the UI snappy as you work. It doesn't need to generate every strand all the time like the Modifier.
    3. Select the Anything Grows and switch to the model room.
    4. Choose Base Object = Model and click the Line Up With Base Object button. The other options are listed below
    Width = .1ft (depends on your scene magnitude)
    Length = .05ft (depends on your scene magnitude)
    Strands = 50000
    Bone Mode = checked
    Restrict Strands to Domain = Fur
    UV Mapping = UV along the strand
    Show Base = unchecked

This sets up UV mapped strands so you can alpha map them, makes Grows just show the strands, and constrains the strands to the Fur shading domain.

5. Switch to the Texture room. Let it create a new master shader. You should see a bunch of shading domains for the Anything Grows objects. They mirror the domains of your base object and add one for the strands.
    6. Create a new shader in the Strands shading domain.
    7. I Googled for hair strand texture and used an alpha map I found here http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/main.php?g2_itemId=4240 , then adjust the color to taste.
    8. Move the time scrubber to the end of the animation. Return back to the Model room and set the Animate slider for Anything Grows to 100%.
    9. Render!

Now of course there's still work to do. In this case you'd probably want to build a custom texture to drive the length of the strands so you can make them short on the face and paws. You might also create a 2nd Anything Grows object to do the fur on the inside of the ears where the strands are very sparse.

The drawback to this is that since you're mapping the strands to do an alpha map along it's length, you can't really color the strands using a texture map for the kitty (e.g. tortie texture). You're stuck with a solid color kitty. You might be able to do some global space stuff with Procedural Lock, but I haven't tried it.

You could also go straight strands and allow the strands to pick up the UV of the point of origin. That would get you a cat you could apply a texture to, but the alpha really does help sell the fur look for far less polygons.

Regards,

Capture.JPG
    1281 x 1024 - 181K
    edited December 1969

I went ahead and bought it and tried some of your workflow
    I think might stick to head hairs though
    is very slow calculating too

sheep0005.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    toiletbrush0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Hey, Wendy. I don't have any fuzzy Anything Grows images, but I did do a plant alien sort of thingy a few months ago that I used AG on. Anything Grows can do more than just hair. I had a lot of fun discovering what I could do. With your imagination, who knows what you could create. :)

http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/?cid=26&show=1166&view=8

Hopefully that link will take you to the right page over at Carrara Cafe. Like I said, working with AG was a lot of fun.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Hey, Wendy. I don't have any fuzzy Anything Grows images, but I did do a plant alien sort of thingy a few months ago that I used AG on. Anything Grows can do more than just hair. I had a lot of fun discovering what I could do. With your imagination, who knows what you could create. :)

Hopefully that link will take you to the right page over at Carrara Cafe. Like I said, working with AG was a lot of fun.

that's some cool stuff david :)

edited December 1969

it looks like it can do great things but sadly not decent fur in octane, a decent looking cat would not load I gave up after several hours
    my sheep cat animation took long enough
    hair on heads, yes will try those

edited December 1969
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Wow you have 19717 subs, plus mine!

edited December 1969

it looks like it can do great things but sadly not decent fur in octane, a decent looking cat would not load I gave up after several hours
    my sheep cat animation took long enough
    hair on heads, yes will try those

Hey Wendy,

Can you send me your Carrara file and texture to [email protected]? Maybe I can make some suggestions to get it more furry and less sheepy.

The Octane renderer does seem to have some limits as far as polygons go. In one experiment I raised the strand limit on Grows to see if I could get a better look with lots of strands instead of the alpha map style fur. It worked fine in Carrara's internal renderer, but Octane just went out into the weeds and never came back.

Thanks,

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

The Octane renderer does seem to have some limits as far as polygons go. In one experiment I raised the strand limit on Grows to see if I could get a better look with lots of strands instead of the alpha map style fur. It worked fine in Carrara's internal renderer, but Octane just went out into the weeds and never came back.

That makes me think ZBrush files might be an issue with Octane, and probably why Pixologic has developed a plugin for Keyshot. Just doing a quick search turns up that ZBrush fibers are problematic in Octane at this time.

edited December 1969

Is ok the sheepy one rendered not too bad speedwise just needed better length, width etc settings and maybe your alphamap instead of the one I tried.
    My carrara in Meters so did not terribly accurately follow your steps as too eager to try it to do the maths (I dislike converting and using my brain :lol: )
    I just finished a V4 many stranded head hair and while octane rendered it quickly once the mesh was compiled, each frame it compiled it again which took several minutes, a carrara render would be far quicker, I am going to upload that soon once my PC stops calculating the next thing I tried, grass!!! Is all tied up at moment, am on my android tablet.

edited May 2015

which is actually rendering quickly
    far less thicker transmapped hairs on V4 made a huge difference too
    https://youtu.be/sGuiu_12BAE
    needs a lot of work still, just figuring out settings that render

grass0026.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    grass0005.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Man... I love how you can truly make Anything Grow with Anything Grows!

Wendy,
    Keep working on that... looks like you're really getting somewhere. I must say, though... really makes me glad that I don't need to rely on any other render engine besides good ol' Carrara PR! I think you can really go places, thanks to DCG's Anything Grows, though. I really hope that you get it... I wanna see!!!

edited December 1969

furry genesis character flat mapped one skin working better using modifier on model itself
    slow compiling mesh in Octane between frames but not too bad

anythingGrows0011.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M