My first HDRI render

IKtorIKtor Posts: 44
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Made in Carrara native render.My main concern was to check and focus only on car and shaders.

Honda_NSX_HDRI.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 2M

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Nicely done. I would have liked painted glossy rims and not the matte black that seems to be modern now.
    A tad of tire shine would be nice too, but maybe that needs an extra light too.

Wald-Lexus_LS600h_Black_Bison-2010-1600-0f.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 178K
    edited December 1969
  • IKtorIKtor Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

thank you 3dREndero.I Try research some HDR indeed and honestly until now not even one could find with acceptable quality.99% are out of whitebalence ,exposure are madness honestly quality makes me cry.Im continued search my self a way to grab one set myself the HDR and test.
    I use a second indeed the ambient light on scene but only to correct white balance 10 %. As model car are not finished yet some parts are not divide yet cause i notice the side recieve light is different form other that is on shadow and can set propely shaders.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very nice, Trialg! Very nice!

edited December 1969

Try the use gamma correction setting on at 2.2 and render again.
    More details here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25644/

edited December 1969

Using gamma 2.2 in Car will be a non-sense use it.In image you can see why.In normal render the toll i use show me shadows are ok,midtones are hight and exposure is more or less a half down sotp ideal.As light of HDR surrond object effect the result.using gamma 2.2 it seems a knife with two cuts.In second image we notice using the gamma the shadows seems better.But detail gone also.It means question what we want,and decide detail or light on all image?
    As until now didnt find nothing that we can control higlight and shadows at same time and ideal contrast that give me detail and light correct using in car wont be a nice step use gamma.
    As we can see in image emmiter program the right shadows value that give good details on reflections are not there.The Histogram show shadows and exposure are blow away thats why i talk find a way i can control a HDR image myself and test
    Thanks for that from Phil i always curious to know more since by nature cant ear is videos and are not made for people like me are not legend it will be a pleasure read see if something is escape me.

APC_Collage_-_2015.05_.05_21_.28_-_001_.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 878K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Trialg said:
    Using gamma 2.2 in Car will be a non-sense use it.In image you can see why.In normal render the toll i use show me shadows are ok,midtones are hight and exposure is more or less a half down sotp ideal.As light of HDR surrond object effect the result.using gamma 2.2 it seems a knife with two cuts.In second image we notice using the gamma the shadows seems better.But detail gone also.It means question what we want,and decide detail or light on all image?
    As until now didnt find nothing that we can control higlight and shadows at same time and ideal contrast that give me detail and light correct using in car wont be a nice step use gamma.
    As we can see in image emmiter program the right shadows value that give good details on reflections are not there.The Histogram show shadows and exposure are blow away thats why i talk find a way i can control a HDR image myself and test
    Thanks for that from Phil i always curious to know more since by nature cant ear is videos and are not made for people like me are not legend it will be a pleasure read see if something is escape me.

Many HDRIs need a light, such as a distant light or spotlight to provide highlights and separation. HDRIs that use more exposures may not need it, but for free ones, I have found that they tend to use three or four exposures when they are made.

edited May 2015

After a severals testes give another try and here is result tryng realism in a very simple composition.The image background is the HDR same
    used in scene.

Honda.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by IKtor on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Trialg :)

In the Shader editor,. create a new master shader,. and click the top level , choose Lighting modes / Shadow Catcher. (see pic)

This is a special shader, which catches the shadows, but allows the Backdrop image or Video to be seen through it.

Hope that makes sense :)

shadow_catcher_area.jpg
    1229 x 731 - 168K
    shadow_catcher.jpg
    710 x 526 - 97K
    edited December 1969

I was just looking for that, I am grateful for the information that you may be always welcome! ...:D

edited December 1969

I was going to suggest a shadow catcher as well, but 3dage beat me to it!

The neat thing about a shadow catcher is that it also can act as a mask and hide anything behind it. Have a post or other object in the background or backdrop that is supposed to be in front of the composited 3D element? Many times a few simple primitives with a shadow catcher applied to them, positioned in the scene to match up with the background elements can work wonders.

edited December 1969

Thank you Evil .At first try I use the bottom of car just to check what happen.And some parst become as have transparency but was first try I still studie :).And its great to know more and aprecciate that.
    Other idea i got was to model floor carefully as image to try replicate only because background HDR is out of focus and also grass and If car stay focus but grass not will be like a montage i think.
    I also find some tips that in my reserch for information didn,t see any place and when i have time ill give bring to people :).Best way I found to say thank you all :)

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.05_.08_22h58m59s_002__.jpg
    816 x 467 - 203K
    edited December 1969

The neat thing with the HDRs is that you can use them in the Background to provide lighting and reflections, but if you don't want to see the actual HDR, you can also load an image in the Backdrop, which doesn't reflect or provide light, but blocks the HDRI from view.