How do I make wet skin and water planes for Iray render?

Katmeow2015Katmeow2015 Posts: 55
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hello, How do I make wet skin and water planes for Iray render?

I know there are products in the store to make these effects, I just want to know which ones work in Iray, or if there are setting I should change to create these effects. Thanks.

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I have heard of people fiddling with the top coat to get a wet skin look. Water plane is easier since there is a shader preset (in shader presets Iray uber defaults) for water thin.

• Katmeow2015Katmeow2015 Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the idea. do you know what do you change in the top coat?

edited December 1969

I think that you increase the amount of top coat and be sure to put the bump maps for the character in the bump slots for top coat I think..

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited May 2015

Okay... so I'm still fiddling with it myself.

Gloss to the skin. Now, Iray has 3 layers to every surface, if you read all the stuff about it.

Base layer (bottom level) is where the main Diffuse channel & bumps go.

Metallic Flake (2nd level) is kind of an odd one that I haven't played with. I hope to do stuff with it when I get really ambitious. (Anyone think about using Metallic Flake for bits of sand in a beach scene? I'd definitely want some maps to make it work.)

Top Coat (3rd level) is a layer of stuff with some thickness to it. So, if I want beads of water, I think in terms of top coat. And if you have the Wet Skin products from here, they give you various maps/channels... which I try to apply here. I guess I should do an actual study of it next... but I have so many other things to do :-(

EDIT: Okay, re-reading the documentation... I guess I was wrong here. Going to do more experiments. :-p

Sheets of water. Are you wanting water to mess with?

There's a free product on ShareCG, which SickleYield kindly provided free of charge. She has a much more functional product available in the Daz shop, but this is something you can experiment with before you think about buying.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/68701/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/SpaceBones-Liquid-Converted-For-DS4.5

So grab that, use the Iray shader & apply directly to the surfaces. (any of the 3 Water shaders) See what that does in your renders. Then you can figure out if you need more or you're too discouraged to do more.

ANOTHER thing to mess with are the Primitives, should you not want to download anything. Throw up a Primitive object, apply the Iray shaders, see what they do.

One way to do it is to use a Plane, and then carefully fit & artfully hide any edges/corners that you don't want. A Cone is also good, and can give you volume to your Primitive.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • Katmeow2015Katmeow2015 Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

This is the result I got by setting a plane and making it water, and by changing the top layer weight to 1. The skin certainly looks more glossy. Thanks.

My next question is, How do I change the direction of the reflection? I have moved the sun dial and it still reflects right in front of my image. Thank you :)

Laurie_in_water_V1.png
    1000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure if it is possible to change the way something is reflected. It isn't due to the lighting but due to the figure placement vs the reflective surface.

• MariaTortilliaMariaTortillia Posts: 47
    edited September 2015

I found a very quick and easy way to add that sweaty wet skin shine , and that was to increase the metalicity ot the skin to 0.30 or 0.50ish , There is nice tut here although havent tried it yet http://thinkdrawart.com/how-to-get-wet-skin-in-iray

Post edited by MariaTortillia on
  • ronmolinaronmolina Posts: 118
    edited September 2015

Blackbeard, nice link. Thanks!

Post edited by ronmolina on
  • AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910
    edited September 2015

For Iray (PBR) : just think physically correct  > a skin is a skin.... one material....   top coat on a skin is the oily glossy part.. but NOT water...

Water = drops ON the skin = another material...... you need to add a geometry shell - idealy with modelled water drops (real geometry) --- and/or a  map (best results - >use map (opacity, bump AND geometry)....

Example: image: waterdrops on a skin only using a geometry shell (drops) and water shader ( a test render i did some weeks ago)..without changing the skin.

water14.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by AndyGrimm on
    edited September 2015

double posting -> webmaster ....  one wrong click without edit.. and we have a double posting and no way to delete it.. that's NOT user friendly!

• MariaTortilliaMariaTortillia Posts: 47
    edited September 2015

I found a very quick and easy way to add that sweaty wet skin shine , and that was to increase the metalicity ot the skin to 0.30 or 0.50ish , There is nice tut here although havent tried it yet http://thinkdrawart.com/how-to-get-wet-skin-in-iray

OK  I had a go with the approach in the link, not bad results (see attached) , I kept my metalicity at 0.40 which gives an oily wetness to the skin like AndyGrimm said and then used a geometry shell with a water shader as in the tutorial with a water condensation bump map applied to Cutout Opacity. The only isssue I have come up agaist using a shell is the eyes, How the eyes have an extra layer which looks odd but I think with a custom bump map for Cutout Opacity of the face I can get round that . A geometry shel with scupted droplets would of course be good , big job though

The attached render is Genesis 3 with Karen 7 skin and also has a goosebump map appled to the displacemnet channel of the skin, something i have been experimenting with

The original is nude and can be seen on my Deviant art pages

Edit:  Don't think you meant to quote yourself, have fixed that.

KGgoose14a.jpg
    2000 x 3000 - 357K
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

This is the result I got by setting a plane and making it water, and by changing the top layer weight to 1. The skin certainly looks more glossy. Thanks.

My next question is, How do I change the direction of the reflection? I have moved the sun dial and it still reflects right in front of my image. Thank you :)

Do you maybe still have the camera headlamp on? The reflection is determined entirely by the lights in your scene.

It's also useful to add displacement and normal maps to the water plane (you'll need to subdivide the plane to make that work). The ones I generally use come from rendertextures.com.

edited September 2015

@blackbeardthemeercat  good idea mixing in a goosebump skin under the water shell....  if you can get the face right (map)... and the arms not so oily, it will look great. 

you can also add displacment to the water plane as Esemwy suggested if sculpting drops is not your thing.