Carrara not allowing use of other sky textures in Landscape wizard?

HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
edited May 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to make a mountainous background/backdrop image for a DS scene and I need a night sky with full moon. I want to use the ones named half moon, quarter moon, full moon, icy moon etc. But in the landscape wizard it does not show those. Is this normal? How does one use those instead of the ones that appear in the wizard, those are just not as interesting as the ones with the bluish skies?

Post edited by HorusRa on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Did they come with Carrara, or are they ones you bought?

Also, where do you see them if you don't see them in the Wizard?

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
    edited March 2019

evilproducer said:

Did they come with Carrara, or are they ones you bought?

Also, where do you see them if you don't see them in the Wizard?

No, they came with Cararra.
    As soon as you fire up Carrara they are at the bottom if you have the 'sky' tab active. Once u go into the wizard though, those skies don't seem to be an option. They are at the bottom of this shot:

carrara.png
    1920 x 1080 - 474K
    Post edited by HorusRa on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Horus :)

The Sun and Moon are options in every scene with a standard Carrara "Sky" or "Realistic Sky"
    You can edit the sky setting in the Scene / Atmosphere
    The Sun and moon positions and moon phase are all adjustable

The example scenes, and scene wizards are intended to simplify the learning curve, but all of the Features and functions within all of the examples or wizards, are available directly in Carrara.

What you're looking for is in either the "Sky" or, "Realistic Sky", (both have controls for positioning the moon and adjusting the phase and tilt

Since there are millions of possible variations to scene wizards,plus the fact that some of those example scenes are older than others,.. ...Not all example scenes are included in the wizards

The "Realistic sky" may give you a better set of options than the standard "Sky"

Hope it helps :)

RS_editor.jpg
    945 x 967 - 212K
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
    edited December 1969

I am aware of the edit scene effects, however I've not been successful at actually having a moon appear in the sky, even though I have "show the moon" checked. I don't get that part at all.
    So you are saying you cannot use that particular sky that I mentioned in a scene at all?

edited December 1969

HI Horus :)

You need to go to the Insert menu, in the Assembly rooms and actually add either a Sun Light or Moon light into the scene,
    then the options you set in the Realistic sky have a physical light to control in the scene,.

the next part is positioning those light were you want them...

When you add a Moon or Sun light,. the show up in the centre of the work area, with different Icons and a special almost hidden icon in the sky,...

You can set a basic position for the Sun/Moon in the Realistic Sky editor, (see screen-grab I posted)

When you're in the scene and you're looking through your camera, ..you want to be able to move that Sun/Noon to suit your image, perhaps from behind a tree branch in your scene.

Select the Sun/Moon light and point it directly towards your camera,. and you should see either a Half-Moon (wire shape with a little black aquare), or a circle with a tiny black square attached to it, You can grab that little square and move it to position the light.

The wire-frame icon of the moon, and sun light's in the sky, will only appear when you select the moon light, or sun light respectively.

Hope it helps :)

moon_icons.jpg
    1341 x 852 - 179K
    edited December 1969

No,. I'm not saying you can't use that scene,. It''s available in the browser, so yes you can use it,. but it's not part of the scene wizards,.
    just as most of the objects and shaders included with carrara aren't.

That particular scene uses the (original) "Sky" option,. which is older than the Realistic Sky, which has more options.
    but you can choose to use whatever scene you want as a starting point and then add landscapes or prop and figures to it.

You can alsdo save out most scene elements, like the Scene Atmosphere, or Background, as separate Carrara files which can be loaded into any other scene,. the same app;lies to lights camera's shaders, objects etc, mostr individual components can be saved and reused it's very open and flexible.

So, if you opened the Half moon scene from the browser, then go to the Sky settings, you'll notice some little icons on the top right corner which will allow you to Save an Load settings,.
    You could then save that sky setting with the moon,. open a new scene, go to the Sky settings, and Load that setting back in.

:)