Problems With Hair

Please take a look at the attached. I've been having this problem with several hair types. This is Vickie 8, but I've also had the problem with Nida (to name one). 

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

kmw

hair issue.png
1155 x 650 - 967K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657

Is this an actual render and not Iray preview?

Which hair are you using and which version of DS?

• kmwkmw Posts: 13

Thanks for offering your aid.

Yes, it's a render in Iray. I haven't played with any settings. I tried a hair simulation on this render hoping that was the problem. It wasn't.

I'm using the most recent ver (4.20).

The two hairs I've had this problem with are both dForce:

Operator Hair

Nash Hair

kmw

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657
    edited April 2022

I don't have netiher. And my knowledge with dForce hair is limited, as my machine ain't too happy about them.

But I tried a dForce hair in the newest release and it rendered fine, so it isn't the release.

And there doesn't seem to be other forum references with people having problem with them.

I don't have any immediate ideas, but hopefully somebody else will join in.

Added: you could in the surface tab try to increase line width and see if gives better results.

Post edited by felis on
  • rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

I don't think it's a dForce problem. Both hair you mention seem to be strand based hair (SBH):

- "The Operator Hair is a stylish and versatile hair for Genesis 8 Female making use of the latest dForce hair strand features."

- "with this dforce fibermesh hair." for Nash Hair

Only Daz Published Artists (PAs) have access to this technology.
    I can create strand based hair without dForce OR classic hair with dForce, but not both.

I have a dForce SBH that I bought from Daz, it's Manami Hair from Kobamax. I was unable to reproduce your problem with this hair.

The best would be to ask the question directly to the Daz PAs but for that I fear you should submit a ticket...

You could check he opacity parameters and maps in the Surfaces tab (Opacity to 1 or 100 and a map), the Render Line Tesselation Sides parameters in the Parameters Tab.

Another good idea would be to update your graphic card driver(s). More often than not, it helps.

I create my own dForce classic hair (not SBH), they work great on my cheap laptop (16 Gb Ram and a Geforce 840M).

I hope somebody else will help you, for now I can't do more.

• kmwkmw Posts: 13

I've been given a few places to start. Worse comes to worse, I can get a refund and not bother with dForce hairs from this point forward.

Thank you.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

Are you using smart content by chance? I never use it, but from some forum posts, new users tend to not see all the icons associated with a product. On the operator hair there are 4 icons using the content library and clicking on the volumn ON icon while the hair is selected makes the hair show up and not look like what is in your image.. The nash hair should be showing. there are two icons for it in the content library, one for the hair and one for scalp and in the test, both showed in preview and render without having to change any settings.

What are your system specs?

Once you understand dforce hair, it's the best hair out there for any type of realism, I use them almost always, but they do take a hefty PC to work with properly.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,260
    edited April 2022

Just in case,

1. Select Hair
    2. Go to Parameter tab and Simulation
    3. Make sure all of the Generate PR Hair and Preview radio buttons are checked

I did a quick render of Ashan with Atlas Hair which ships with buttons switched to off (A) and a view with them switched on (B):

generatehair.jpg
    1419 x 1261 - 373K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on