Solid Color texture map showing evidence of tiling

mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 61

Good afternoon folks.

I've been painting texture maps and I was getting some weird small square tiling when rendering.  I managed to narrow it down to find that somehow, the photoshop layer that was simply a paint-bucketed background color was causing the issue.  Attached is the mesh with a base color map that is just a jpg with the solid color (all other details removed).  Notice the small squares covering the mesh.  

What could cause this?  The texture map is 2048x2048 so it shouldn't be a stretching issue (not like that should matter with it being a solid color).  Just so we're clear, the H/V Tiles settings are both 1.00, and the full texture with all the details layered on top works fine otherwise.  It's just these weird blocks over the solid color.  In the attached image, no bump or normals are active.

texture tiling.jpg
1349 x 1247 - 1M
Post edited by mmdestiny on

Comments

• mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 61

UPDATE:  What's really bizarre (or perhaps not) is I think it's the color itself.  I tried changing the color to a different shade.  The pattern of the boxes changed.  I think it might be something to do with the way the color is displayed when blown up.  Thoughts?  It's been a while since I had classes in how color spaces work, but this sounds familiar.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,647

It might be the compression Iray are doing.

If you go to render settings > advanced amd increases the thresholds, do the pattern then remain?

• mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 61

felis said:

It might be the compression Iray are doing.

If you go to render settings > advanced amd increases the thresholds, do the pattern then remain?

Indeed they fluctuate and eventually disappear as the threshold moves up, well done!

This leads me to wonder if I have been hurting my renders all this time with the default 512, 1024 settings?  I was unaware of this setting until now.