i Tawt i Taw an 'apply to children' button?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

i was lookin for a way to merge shader domains on a prop or figure into one,

then there was an apply to children, which was nice didn't have to keep dragging the same shader on every red zone.

but now i can't find it again :shut:
?

originally did it on the house in the ca objs folder.
then tried to find the apply to children for Gobbles.cr2

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

drag to the purty multicolured ball at the top

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

thank yooo !!

Hugz {{}}

edited December 1969

well there it is, it only shows if the selected actually has children. :lol:

applytochildren.JPG
    736 x 707 - 86K
    edited May 2015

not showing me the pretty ball.

general tablet stuck on ground. >.<</p>

should i select gobbles, or 'model' under gobbles?

mebbe need a reboot.
    prolly some sleep too.

gobbles_selected_model-not_showing_pretty_multicolorball.JPG
    772 x 717 - 82K
    gobbles_selected-not_showing_pretty_multicolorball.JPG
    804 x 709 - 88K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

The multicolored ball is in the texture room at the top of the menu with the shading domains. If you have a shader (simple or complex) that you want to apply globally, you can drag it from the shader tab in the instances menu (bottom right) on to the multicolored ball. Or, if you have saved the shader to your shader browser, you can apply it from there. Either way, drag the shader from the browser tray or the instances tray to the multicolored globe. It will then change the global shading domain to the one that was dragged. And then, if the shader is simple the sub-domains will say empty, or if the shader is complex (and has separate shaders for individual domains), it will list the shader for each subdomain as appropriate.

In this case, I selected the model level of Gobbles, entered the texture room, and dragged the default shader from the instances tray to the multicolored globe.

Gobbles_4b.jpg
    1358 x 912 - 201K
    Gobbles_3b.jpg
    1881 x 1013 - 343K
    Gobbles_2b.jpg
    1865 x 1019 - 351K
    Gobbles_1b.jpg
    1313 x 928 - 204K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    The multicolored ball is in the texture room at the top of the menu with the shading domains. If you have a shader (simple or complex) that you want to apply globally, you can drag it from the shader tab in the instances menu (bottom right) on to the multicolored ball. Or, if you have saved the shader to your shader browser, you can apply it from there. Either way, drag the shader from the browser tray or the instances tray to the multicolored globe. It will then change the global shading domain to the one that was dragged. And then, if the shader is simple the sub-domains will say empty, or if the shader is complex (and has separate shaders for individual domains), it will list the shader for each subdomain as appropriate.

In this case, I selected the model level of Gobbles, entered the texture room, and dragged the default shader from the instances tray to the multicolored globe.

It is also visible in the Assembly room if the Shader tab is selected. You can even load new shaders in the Assembly room by dragging and dropping them from the Shader Browser and onto the multi-colored ball.

Misty, the reason you aren't seeing the ball is because the top level of the figure is selected. You need to select the model/actor level to reveal the Shading tab.

edited December 1969

thanks.

there's a big cloud of confusion over my head, when it comes to finding the shader i want to edit.

and the shop has on a radio station i absolutely can't stand, can't concentrate.

edited December 1969

so, when i select a shader in the instances section,

this box is showing me all the surfaces that has the default shader on it?

how did i end up with default shader on so many ...

Capture-DefaultShader.JPG
    624 x 636 - 75K
    edited December 1969

seems different rules for applying poser .pz2 mats.

dragging over the ball gives me the black circle with black line in it.
    only thing that seems to work is highlight the whole figure then dbl click the mat file.

Capture_different_rules_for_applying_pz2_shaders.JPG
    913 x 698 - 152K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2015

HI Misty :)

Poser mats are different from Carrara shaders,. so the drag'n'drop , won't work.
    Select you figure,. and double click the Poser Mat thumbnail image (as you would in Poser or DS)
    The same process applies to using DS shaders or material pre-set's

Double clicking , imports the Poser or DS material and converts it into a Carrara shader,.
    you should then check that the shader has loaded all of the components and adjust some settings to work better in Carrara.
    Once that's done you can save the Carrara Global shader to your browser,

Hope that makes sense :)

The reason that you have so many objects connected to the "default" shader is because it's the default shader which is automatically applied to all single and Multi domain shaders. don't worry about it,. ignore it.
    leave it alone, and create a "new Master shader" to work on, or add to your object

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

the default shader isn't really on any of those in the list?

thanks. one default shader to rule them all, i guess :)