please, which light equivalent to Poser IBL or DS-AOA advanced ambient?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

i like to add a light that lights everything at about 15%, doesn't cast shadows, doesn't matter which way it points.

looking in the insert light list, can't figure out which one?

thanks.

:)

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

i like to add a light that lights everything at about 15%, doesn't cast shadows, doesn't matter which way it points.

looking in the insert light list, can't figure out which one?

thanks.

:)

Well, from the description, you want Ambient Light, which is an old shortcut to fake certain aspects of Global Illumination. It is on by default in new Carrara scenes, set to white and at 20% intensity.

To change it or turn it off, select Scene from the top of the Instances palette, and then at the top of the screen, under the General tab (I think), the first thing in the list is ambient. There is a slider and a color chip you can adjust/change. The pulldown menu has an option to use a Realistic sky to drive the light color.

The Ambient light is omni-directional, meaning it comes in from all around the scene. It does not cast shadows. If the brightness is turned up, it can look really flat and uninteresting. If used subtly, and with restraint, it can help a scene. The key is subtly. Myself, I prefer to leave it off.

As to what is equivalent to AoA's ambient light, that I'm not sure of. Poser's IBL is probably some kind of an HDRI function. IBL stands for Image Based Light. Carrara can use HDRIs in the scene's Background slot, and if the Skylight is enabled in the render room, then the HDRI loaded into the scene's background will provide illumination. Please note that you can also use a color gradient, color or image map in the Background and if the Skylight is enabled, Carrara will also treat them as an IBL. Additionally, if you are a using a Realistic Sky in the scene's Atmosphere slot, then that also will behave like an IBL if the Skylight is turned on.

One more thing to note, is that if you enable Indirect Light in the Render Room, any object with a glowing shader will become a light source.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited May 2015

I have AoA, and the Carrara equivalent would likely be...

Typical Assembly room setting, delete default Light 1 from the scene to get rid of shadow.

You'll need a simple "omni" light source. 3 choices:

Assembly room, Scene Effects:
    - Atmosphere: Realistic Sky
    - Background: Bi Gradient, or, Color

Personally I prefer the bi gradient, seems faster, and softer too. The default color setting is fine.

Then go to Render room: Global Illumination: turn Skylight on, Indirect Light on, and select Ambient Occlusion only. Ignore everything else. Voila.

For further adjustment of AO "shadow" intensity, either play with Sky Light + Indirect Light dials, or via Scene: Effect: Ambient brightness.

Shoudl fetch fast and easy AoA-ish result.

aoa.jpg
    671 x 209 - 31K
    Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i think the terminology i was looking for was omni-directional light. i think of it as a baseline light,

so how do you light your entire scene for draft mode renders? can't imagine turning on idl for draft renders.