Running the 3rd party content library off the cloud?

Hey guys, 

Now, I know this topic has been started quite a few times, but it mostly ends up dying faster than it started.

So what I would like to know is the following: Is it possible to save my 3rd party assets on the cloud (dropbox) and then point DAZs CDM to the Dropbox folder I have on my PC (which would contain the online-only save files) and use them?

Comments

• Of course, they are still files on your disc even though they are mirrored in the cloud.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Of course, they are still files on your disc even though they are mirrored in the cloud.

Hey Richard, 

First of all, thank you for your reply. However while it did provide some assistance, it did not fully answer my question. 

I was planning on using Dropbox's Smart-Sync with the files being saved fully onto the cloud and only leaving a placeholder (few kbits) of the files on my actual drive, with the option of the desktop app to automatically download them upon request by DAZ. 

Now, being impatient and all, I decided to test this out for myself and created a cloud library, added a few clothing and pose assets, pointed DAZ towards that library, and started testing it out. Ignoring the fact that it does take longer for the asset to load (since instead of simply loading it off the disk, DAZ had to request the asset from the folder, dropbox had to identify which file it wanted and start downloading it, etc), diving deeper into the assets settings seems to not work. (i.e. loading a prop and a pose worked like a charm, but as soon as I tried loading a pose+prop preset, DAZ couldn't find the info).

I ended up ordering an external storage system since my little experiment didn't yield the results I wanted.

• What do you mean by a pose and prop preset - a Wearable?

• So it was part of "Z Personal Hygiene Props and Poses for Genesis 8 and 8.1" and more specific, the pose in which the g8f is using the hair spray. I could load the hair spray prop, I was able to pose the model, but when trying to use the preset (pose + prop correctly placed within the scene ~in her hand and not randomly on the floor~), DAZ simply refused to do it.
  • Which figure were you using - 8 or 8.1?