Render Settings - Pixes and Aspect Ratio

I'm experimenting with using comic book-esqe backdrops for my pictures. For this reason, I'm trying to resize the picture so that it is rendered at the size of the box that it's going into. I've run into a problem - When I change the height or the width, then the other will change to something else. If I try to reset the other, then the first one that I changed will change back. Sometimes, I'm able to get both the height and the width to change to something that I want, but then the Aspect Ratio will change. If I change those back (16.0 and 9.0) to what I want, then the Pixel size will reset to 10k for each, and then the process starts over again. I looked online about other people that might be having the same issue and most people said make sure your dimension presets are set to custom and make sure that you've got the contrain proportions on/off. I've tried it both ways and nothing works. They all seem to be linked somehow, but there's no setting that I can find to "unlink" them. I did click on the gear in the settings, but couldn't find something akin to "unlink" for lack of a better term. 

How do I spect the pixel size to what I want without changing the aspect ratio? 

For clarification, I'm trying to set the width to 3,104 and the height to 3,570 with an apect ratio of 16.0 and 9.0

Thanks! 

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

That pixel size 3570/3104 is closer to 11 by 9!

You can have those 'pixels' or the 'ratio' but not both. Which is more important to you?

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

A 16:9 image wich width is 1600 pixels will have 900 pixels in height. A 1:1 image wich with is 500 pixels will have 500 pixels in height

Pixels are square dots, not rectangles!

The more pixels you have gives you the best resolution and quality (and the highest rendering time!)

As far as I know, nobody uses "comic book-esqe backdrops", the comic books layouts are usually done as postwork in an image editor.

Render your images at the best quality you think is ok for you, then reframe your rendered images in an image editor like Photoshop, Gimp ot IrfanView to fit them to your comic book's boxes.

If you really want to use "comic book-esqe backdrops" in your scenes you can rescale your backdrops to fit the images you want to be "framed" in them.

Have a nice day!

• prixat said:

That pixel size 3570/3104 is closer to 11 by 9!

You can have those 'pixels' or the 'ratio' but not both. Which is more important to you?

Not gonna lie, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to things like this. I assumed that more pixels meant a better resolution. Although the ratio doesn't do much for me cause I don't know what it is/how to apply it. I have watched a couple of videos on the topic to better understand, but I feel like it's not something I could grasp in a day or something, might be something that I have to actually study/dedicate a little more time to. 

• rosseliani - Thank you for the explanation. I explained it poorly in my first post. I meant that I was trying to scale my images to be rendered in Daz so that they were the correct size for the post work comic frame. Looks like I've got some studdying to on the whole ratio concept, cause I really don't get it. 

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

Gemini Queen said:

rosseliani - Thank you for the explanation. I explained it poorly in my first post. I meant that I was trying to scale my images to be rendered in Daz so that they were the correct size for the post work comic frame. Looks like I've got some studdying to on the whole ratio concept, cause I really don't get it. 

Some examples:

Ratio = 1:1    (Square):  1 pixel width, 1 pixel height       OR    2 pixels width, 2 pixels height      OR    100 pixels width, 100 pixels height, etc

1 cm width, 1 cm height            OR    2 cm width, 2 cm height               OR    100 cm width, 100 cm height, etc

1 inch width, 1 inch height        OR    2 inches width, 2 inches height    OR    100 inches width, 100 inches height, etc

Ratio = 4:5                     4 pixels width, 5 pixels height    OR    8 pixels width, 10 pixels height    OR    4000 pixels width, 5000 pixels height, etc

4 Km width, 5 Km height            OR    8 Km width, 10 Km height            OR    4000 Km width, 5000 Km height, etc

4 miles width, 5 miles height      OR    8 miles width, 10 miles height      OR    4000 miles width, 5000 miles height, etc

Ratio = 16:9                 16 pixels width, 9 pixels height   OR    32 pixels width, 18 pixels height   OR    16000 pixels width, 9000 pixels height, etc

16 feet width, 9 feet height          OR    32 feet width, 18 feet height          OR    16000 feet width, 9000 feet height, etc

16 mm width, 9 mm height          OR    32 mm width, 18 mm height          OR    16000 mm width, 9000 mm height, etc

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,173
    edited April 2022

Maybe this will help also,

2022-04-19 (2).png
    366 x 670 - 43K
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • RL_MediaRL_Media Posts: 339
    edited April 2022

You know what the box size is, use that. Ratio settings are useful if you are trying to make something to a standard size, like you need it to display perfectly fullscreen on a 16/9 screen or something. How I would do it:

1)Turn constrain proportions off

2)Typ the pixel size of the box in the pixel size boxes.

3)Turn constrain proportions back on.

4)Save the preset

In my usual way of working, I do steps 1-3, then I usually double or quadruple the size to work. Once my painting or whatever is done, I can resize it in PS to the right size without worrying about needing to crop it or anything. Hope that makes sens lol

Post edited by RL_Media on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,173

Why not just set it with the drop-down box

2022-04-20 (1).png
    1920 x 1080 - 277K