Exporting genesis 8 Hair to manual adjustment and re importing it

Hi guys, I am relatively new to DAZ studio. So I have this 2021-09 Hair Genesis 8 Female and am trying to adjust the hair volume/shape to fit under the beret. So I export the hair as a fbx into maya/zbrush and adjust it, however after importing back and I try Iray render preview it, it looks very different even after copying the "surface" from the original hair to adjusted hair. As you can see the right hair is the original hair and left side is the imported back in.

28.4-.png
1216 x 1056 - 5M
(2).png
960 x 997 - 4M
.png
802 x 484 - 1M

Comments

• Try reapplying the materials from the hair set - copy/paste doesn't change the shader applied, it just adjusts settings.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

This is a long shot, but might the UV have gotten renamed during the import/export process? 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2022

"importing back"

** If you import your modified hair as a morph, keeping the geometry with some adjustments, it will render the same way.

** If you import it back as a new object it will have a default iRay shader applied. But there are many different shaders, and some vendors create their own.

What you need to do :

- select the hair in the Scene Tab

- select one of its surfaces in the Surface Tab

- File > Save As > Shader Preset ; you save a XXX.duf file for that specific hair shader.

- Then select your modified hair, select its surface(s) and File > Merge > select the XXX.duf file you just saved.

This way you'll apply the exact shader of the original. Copy pasting from the surface tab is not always enough, especially for the numerous custom shaders made by artists.

Keep in mind that you need to save shaders one by one. And load (File > Merge) them on surface(s) of another object : also one by one. Do not confuse Material Preset, and Shader Preset.

-----------------

This being said, as Richard Haseltine stated, if your object has the same Surfaces names as the original, you can simply re-apply the iRay texture from the vendor's hair materials in your Content Library Tab.

Post edited by hansolocambo on