Is it possible create a Parameter Slider that controls a surface property?

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Is it possible to make a new Slider on the Parameters Tab of an object that is linked to a Surface Property?

For example, if I wanted to make a "Glow" option on the Parameters tab, for users to brighten a surface, but all it really did was increased the Ambient value of a defined surface? (but for a better user experience, they don't need to go to the surface tab, find the right material, find the Ambient property and adjust)

NOTE: That's just an example, and not exactly what I want to do, but it is basically the same thing...so no need to address making things glow! :)

Comments

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,235
    edited May 2015

I don't think it is possible to link a Surface sliders to Parameters tab settings from what I have seen.

Myself, I don't see the difficulty in using the surface tab to control surface settings and potentially it may cause some confusion to end users to have settings where they wouldn't expect to find them.

For the glow example I would tend to use saved presets for 1 click usage like Glow On, Glow Off, Glow 50 percent which I think is more user friendly. This method can also work on multiple surfaces depending on what's selected in the scene.

Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,551
    edited December 1969

I think I have done it in the past, but that it doesn't save reliably. However, if I am recalling correctly at all, I had to use a script to create the link.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback! Here is an example of what I was wondering. In the picture, Littlefox made a morph that controls some other dials.

I was curious how these ERC Delta Add's are done? (which is where I was going to look to try and tie it to a surface property)

Example.jpg
    801 x 416 - 92K
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

NM, I just thought of another way to get the same results :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,551
    edited December 1969

The simplest way to create ERC links between item parameters is to put the parameters pane into edit mode, by right-click in the pane, then drag one or more properties from there into the Sub-Components or Controllers group under another in the Property hierarchy pane.

• 3dOutlaw said:

NM, I just thought of another way to get the same results :)

Could you share?  I am trying to do the same thing.  Thanks.