Is it possible to convert posed character into prop?

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited May 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Video project

My thinking is to make props of characters, but there may be another better way to do this.

Maybe make characters Materials or something like that.

I would like to place several fixed position characters in a flight of helicopters.

I don't want to have to reset with poses constantly. The characters don't move.

This way I can fill each helicopter with character/props, load and save as I need the helicopters.

My thinking is to use something like Lo-Rez characters, or decimate regular characters for this. I don't need high quality characters to do this, since the scenes will not be closeups only flybys at enough distance characters need to be seen but movements aren't necessary.

I don't want to have to reload and re-pose the characters into a helicopter each time I load the helicopters into the project.

Basically, I just want characters to be visible in the helicopters in the scenes.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Sure, group character with their clothes, export that group as an obj , tick morphs and skinning when you do, reimport as an obj, you will probably loose transparencies ..... Personally it wouldn't be my choice I way of working tho

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Your best bet is to export them posed from DAZ studio where you can hide mesh by clicking the eye icon and export an obj without hidden mesh
    that way bits covered by clothes hidden and you get a lower poly prop
    while it is possible to edit an obj import in carrara vertex room deleting hidden surfaces, this is easier and quick.
    You can also decimate them in DAZ if you have decimator plugin or in Carrara vertex room not quite as easily but doable if selecting one shading domain at a time as to not destroy uv mapping.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Hi Wendy,

That looks like a useful feature in DAZ Studio exporting. Thanks for mentioning it - your knowledge of these things is impressive.

It could be used for rigging some clothed DAZ characters in Carrara, I guess - just for simple use - such as in the background.

Another option for decimating is available for those who use Hexagon. I found that symmetry and mesh topology become a mess but the character's overall outline and look don't suffer too much.

Come to think of it, decimating can be done in Carrara's VM. You can choose to decimate by fidelity and the main outlines remain much as before.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Why not just use a Replicator ?

You have one figure, (who could be the pilot), which has been added to a replicator to create the other passengers
    they'd all have the same sitting pose, and clothing, and use no more memory than a single figure but it would mean you don't have to import / export, re-texture etc, etc

Rep_example.jpg
    1492 x 967 - 235K