How to edit an iRay Render-time script

I'm looking for a way to pause or edit an iRay rendertime script.

The issue is that the rendertime script generates the instances during rendering. during the render cycle these instances are made available to Octane, however once the iray render is completed the instances are removed and therefore also removed form Octane scene.

Under some circumstances I can get iRay to leave the instances but would like to be more consistent.  

Comments

• I'm not following what you want - are you talking about a script, or the data sent to the renderer?

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited April 2022

It appears the data sent to the renderer is removing the instances after a render completes. I'm checking to see if there is a way of interupting the removal or if i will have to use a script to change instance to props or something.

I setup a ultraScenery-XT scene, the instances are generated at render time so you don't see them or the proxies in the viewport. When using Octane to render the scene the instances are availabe to Octane if iRay render was is running. Once the render completes the instances are removed from Octane scene. Under some settings I can get iRay to leave the instances behind but it doesnt always work.

Thats why i'm looking for a solution that will allow the instances to be visible without iRay rendering.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,149

UltraSceneryXT is a plugin, not a script. That may make a difference in your approach.

Correct but it is not responsible for the rendering. I did some quick testing witht he latest Daz studio version and saved my scene as uncompressed. Take the file into notepad plus plus and you can view how the scene is constructed and the render commands issued. It is similar to how scripted renders are generated.

Generate a USXT scene,

Save in uncompressed format.

Disable the USXT plugin.

Restart Studio and open the saved scene. IT will render obviously without the instances,

• This seems to be an issue with the Octane plug-in not handling the Visible In Viewport/Visible in Render settings correctly - using Iray, which does handle the settings correctly and generates the geometry for the instances, seems a rather poor substitute for having the Octane plug-in work correctly - if I understand the issue.

The scene file is in DSON format, a derivative of JSON - it is data, object descriptions, not a script with instructions.

Actually as you said, Octane will see the instances if created in studio by a simple scene. instances created with instancity works great and  those from USC. USXT destroys its instances on close so while it is going they work but once completed they are removed. If you edit the DSON file to set them visible it might work. I will have to test that and get back to you.

• Well, it may be that UltraScatterXT is taking one of the signals emitted on preparinmg to render and cerating the instances then, then getting the signal for render done and destroying them. But if so it is the plug-in doing the work, not a script.