Genesis Compatible Carrara skin materials?

Are the Genesis 2 male skin shaders for Carrara compatible with the Genesis 1 male figure?   Or not?  I'm thinking about getting some more skin shaders for variety, but Genesis 1 is the figure that seems to reliably work.

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,690

You can use Generation 4 skins on Genesis but Genesis 2 skins won't load. I have not tried manually loading the textures but that could be someting to try although the UV mapping might be out.

• Ok, I'll give Generation 4 skins a try.    Working on a halfling character this time.

edited May 2022

Yep UV maps are out !!!

Genesis skins.png
    2285 x 1038 - 353K
    Genesis skins2.png
    2269 x 1031 - 430K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited May 2022

M4 skins on Genesis are fun !!!

Genesis skins3.png
    2887 x 1038 - 704K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

you might be interested in this workflow too Changing Genesis UV's in Carrara. A "How To." - Daz 3D Forums

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380

In theory every skin texture can be applied on an 3D object but there are a few different ways for this.
    One way is to modify the textures, if you are good with photoshop, you might will do that, you can get any texture and with the Genesis template for example you have the guidelines where you need to put them.
    Another way for this would be to change the UV mapping manually but i have never done that bevore and i wouldnt recommend this.
    Than there are textures if you apply them they will also change the mesh of the figure, so that other textures will work. This comes not from the textures itself, it comes from the file that will load with the textures.

If textures for example G2 won't load into Carrara, you can manually put them in the shaders and i would recommend to store every textures in a seperate location where you know where they are to have better access and sorting for them. Daz content folder can be very unsorted and needs some time to find what you are looking for but with a seperate folder it's easier.
    I also would recommend to do the shading all manually for personal preference. Many textures that you can apply into Carrara was for a different application, so the shading will be mostly default one but not the needed setting. For some scene you might want great detail of skin, why the shading can be a little complex but if you render from far away you don't need much details or bump for example as it won't make any difference in the final render but can increase the render time.
    Another point would be if you use native renderer or octane, luxrender or any other as every renderer needs different settings, octane will handle native carrara shaders but the outcome will be different to the native renderer.

@Headwax
    The Genesis UV change seems to be interesting, i like Genesis but i don't really like mapping of Genesis, with most characters the lips seems to just pinned to the face and got sharp edges, that won't happen on V4 and mostly not on G2 and i guess not on G3 too. In most cases it's a matter of the textures but in Genesis i'm pretty sure it's a case of the UV's but the figure itself i really like, so i might give your How to a try! :)