Distorted nail

I tried using the 'Nails length' morph on the standard G2 female for the first time and noticed a strange distortion on the tip.

There are no other morphs applied but I noticed that the distortion went away when the default smoothing is turned off. Having searched the forum I can only find mention of displacement being a possible cause - I set this to 0 to no avail. Using DS 4.7

Grateful for any suggestions.

Nail.JPG
463 x 356 - 14K
Post edited by rbel_295e7c1d4c on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,551
    edited December 1969

Is that showing in renders only or in the viewport too?

edited December 1969

I'm not seeing this. By smoothing do you mean SubD (Mesh resolution in the Parameters pane) or have you applied a Smoothing Modifier?

• rbel_295e7c1d4crbel_295e7c1d4c Posts: 99
    edited May 2015

Showing in renders and the viewport.

Just the default SubDivision Level of 1 with default Edge Interpolation, Enable Smoothing and Smoothing Type with no changes to any settings.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling G2 and DS but no change in the distortion.

Post edited by rbel_295e7c1d4c on
    edited December 1969

I'm not seeing this even if I apply a Smoothing Modifier, but if you have a Mesh Smoothing group in parameters your G2F is not in the default state. Is it it on all fingers or only some?

edited December 1969

Only the thumbs show the upwards distortions. There is a less evident downwards slope to the fingernails which seems to cause them to pass through the tips of the fingers. If I remove the smoothing modifier the upwards thumb distortion disappears but there is still a trace of the downwards slope in all the nails.

edited December 1969

Richard, many thanks for the help. I have decided to do a clean reinstall of everything Daz related as it is about time I got rid of all the various remnants of content and old morphs that seem to be hanging around. If the problem is still evident after this I will back!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

It will most often happen to toon style figures when the Smoothing modifier is applied to the figure and the nail lengthen morph is used. I suspect it is that most toon morphs make the fingers slender so the top and bottom side of the nails fall within the modifier's effective range.