Quick way to retrieve name of figure when all you see "Genesis 8 Female" in the scene panel?

FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

Quick way to retrieve name of figure when all you see "Genesis 8 Female" in the scene panel?

Ok, when you have fallen prey to the newbie affliction of buying lots and lots of figures you notice that when you include some of them in your scene they don't show up with their character's (figure's) name but the generic denomination "Genesis 8 Female" or "Genesis 8 Male" (etc.) and it might just happen you can't remember (... insert embarrassment icon ....) which particular figure you (kind of randomly) added to the scene and just browsing the product tiles (you have so many of them) does not (quickly) provide the answer.

1. Is there a quick way to retrieve the figure's (product) name used in a scene?
  2. Can I change that figure's properties so it will always show that figure's name once included in the scene (I am a newbie but as to code tweaking and such I am fairly handy, although I wouldn't know where to start solving this problem)?
  3. Is there a working log (or a similar feature) in Daz3D keeping track of which figures and wardrobes etc. I have selected to insert into the scene? Aside - obviously - from the actual scene panel and its items and sublists..

Sorry if the answer to the primary question is so simple that I should have thought of it myself, at this point I just can't figure it out...

Thanks y'all!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737

This may help http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/list_products_used/start - open/paste it into the ScriptIDE pane and its output will appear below the script, or you can download and then check the log (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File).

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010

On the scene tab, you can double-click on the Figure's name, i.e. "Genesis 8 Female" and then type in the Name you want to give it. This change should be kept when you save the scene subset or scene preset.

When you change the name of the Figure on the Scene Tab, then switch over the the Parameters Tab or Surfaces Tab - you will see the New Name instead of [for example] Genesis 8 Female.

If you have never seen the log file, before starting to compile your new scene you may wish to Find the log file Richard mentions, select all and delete, save [do not change the location].  Then load your scene. Then read the log file - you can select all or part and copy that information to paste it into a new text file.

• FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

Richard Haseltine said:

(...) paste it into the ScriptIDE pane and its output will appear below the script (...)

Wow that's quite an advanced approach Richard, I never deliberately used the DAZ Script IDE before but at the 2nd attempt I indeed managed to see the script's output. In that verbose output somewhere is the name of the figure used; by just selecting the lines containing the (let's call it) node name "title" the list of (figure) candidates is reduced to the maximal extent and then I quickly identified the name of the character/figure I was looking for (in this case "Bodhi HD for Genesis 8 Female"). So that was a great tip Richard, not quite the easy lookup I had hoped for but still useful. I also learned apparently the script engine runs JSON syntax which happens to be on my to do list. Now I have yet to figure out how I can fix this figure's properties so it always shows the name of "Bodhi HD" once the figured is added to the scene (I can't understand why Bodhi HD's designer did not fix this but perhaps it is technically impossible in some cases, perhaps when piggybacking  your figure on "Genesis 8 Starter Essentials" but that's just a wild and quite uneducated guess!). Cheers.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

If the creator made a dial for the character, one could select the "Currently Used" in Parameters tab and see, which dial has been activated and the name of the dial usually gives one the name of the character.

Catherine3678ab said:

On the scene tab, you can double-click on the Figure's name, i.e. "Genesis 8 Female" and then type in the Name you want to give it. This change should be kept when you save the scene subset or scene preset.

When you change the name of the Figure on the Scene Tab, then switch over the the Parameters Tab or Surfaces Tab - you will see the New Name instead of [for example] Genesis 8 Female.

If you have never seen the log file, before starting to compile your new scene you may wish to Find the log file Richard mentions, select all and delete, save [do not change the location].  Then load your scene. Then read the log file - you can select all or part and copy that information to paste it into a new text file.

Good tips Catherine, tip1 I should have executed since I have sometimes used it already, forgot to do it with this figure, tip 2 (clever!) would indeed have saved me some time browsing through all the lines. I did find out that the string "title" in the line narrows down the search. Still I have to learn how to permanently change the properties of that figure so her name will automatically show in the scene. I seem to have quite a bunch of figures that show just the generic names once these figures are introduced into the scene. Thx! 

PerttiA said:

If the creator made a dial for the character, one could select the "Currently Used" in Parameters tab and see, which dial has been activated and the name of the dial usually gives one the name of the character.

You are absolutely right! The name of this dial AND its 100% setting should have clued me up. LoL. Never realized that "Currently used" is actually useful, usually I am already working with a nested slider that controls the property I need to change.

olvg-snap0282.png
    365 x 327 - 26K

The scripts are in an ECMA 2-based language (like Javascript or Actionscipt), but they can parse JSON files (which is what .duf and .dsf files are).

Richard Haseltine said:

The scripts are in an ECMA 2-based language (like Javascript or Actionscipt), but they can parse JSON files (which is what .duf and .dsf files are).

Rather, ECMA 262, 5.1 edition in Daz Studio 4.x