Two separate vertex models in modeling room viewable in vertex room together

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

If I create two separate vertex models in the modeling room, is there anyway to bring them both into the vertex room together? All I've been able to do is to create the second vertex model in the vertex room which makes them one model in the modeling room. Thanks.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2015

HI

I'm not sure what you're trying to do,. but each "object" is independent.
    there's no limit to the amount of different "poly-meshes" which each "vertex object" can have

You can combine vertex objects by copy/paste into another vertex object, (just make sure you name all the poly-meshes to allow you to select them easily.

You can also "Group" objects together if you just want to place items to constrict a more complex model,.

If you can explain what you're trying to do,,.. perhaps I can suggest a better option

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

if you're like trying to model clothes on a figure, you can stay in the assembly room. there's an icon to toggle to model mode. it's on top of the preview window to the left

• edited December 1969

Thank you both for your fast reply. I'm building one side of a castle that has left and right towers with a wall running between them and this wall has a smaller tower in the center of the wall. My previous question was confusing because I used modeling room instead of assembly room and vertex room instead of model room. I first built the right tower and decided to build the wall with its tower separately, then I would connect the right side of the wall to the left side of the right tower. I first built the tower in the modeling room, then went back to the assembly room, inserted another vertex model (which sent me to the model room where I built the wall with its tower). Now I had two vertex objects in the assembly room. I then wanted to have both vertex objects in the model room, but no matter what I do, I can only see one of them in the model room. I tried highlighting both in the assembly room, then switched to the model room, but only the first vertex object I highlighted showed up in the model room. I tried grouping them and also tried making one of them a child of the other, but I still only can see one of them in the model room. I'm trying to see both in the model room so I can connect them together. I hope this is clearer this time. I have a feeling that Carrara (Pro 8.5) doesn't allow this. I am able to build both as separate vertex objects in the modeling room and then connect them, but in the assembly room they both are considered one object. My original approach of having them separate in both rooms and why I would want them separate in the assembly room alludes me at this time. But it would be interesting to know if two vertex objects in the assembly room can both be seen separately in the model room. Thank you.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The reason you haven't been able to open both objects in the model room is because they are different models. They each have their own model room. Don't worry though, there is a solution!

Open one of the objects in the model room, select the entire object, then choose copy from the Edit menu. Exit the model room and then select the second object and open its model room. Now paste the copied object into the second object's model room. You may need to reposition the pasted object in relation to the second object within the model room, and also possibly re-scale it.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

That's much clearer , I can be blurry in the morning,. thank you for clarifying what you're doing

Evil producer beat me to it :)

it's a Copy / Paste thing .
    select and copy one into the other

Alternatively,...

In the model room (vertex modeller) you can select your object, and use Edit / Duplicate with symmetry , which will create a mirror version of your model, giving you both walls,. It'll also offer you the option to automatically weld these two items together.
    just be aware of what axis is being used for the symmetry before you commit to duplicate and auto weld.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

If you want to keep them as separate models, but still see both while you are editing them, there is a way . . .

One of the ways to get into the vertex modeller is by clicking on the spanner icon at the top right of the main window. (You can also get there by double-clicking the name of the model in the instances list, but let's pretend you get there by clicking the spanner.) If you sidle along to the other side of the window, right where the menus are (File, Edit, Windows etc), you'll see another slightly smaller spanner. Click on that.

What'll happen is that you'll edit your model, just like you would in the vertex room, but you stay in the assembly room, so that you can still see everything else.

Don't be afraid to mess around and try stuff. If you screw up, cmd/ctrl-Z is your friend. But save often, because sometimes cmd/ctrl-Z is your enemy. (i.e. it'll crash occasionally)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

If you want to keep their same scales and position, in assembly room group them and export the group as an obj, the reimport it .... Could have disadvantages , don't know what though. This will of course make both meshes part of the same mesh .

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

You can also in assembly room duplicate with symmetry then just work on one half edit the master and the other half will get the same edits
    using spanner in assembly room will ensue you have both in view.
    A castle in 4 quarters you could even be clever and use a grid replicator with seamless.
    Reason for this is one can make a far more complex model.

• edited December 1969

Thank you evilproducer for your tip. It worked beautifully. And thank all of you for your information and tips. I've printed out all of your answers for future reference. Again, much thanks!!!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I'm glad we could help!

That's the great thing about this community. There are so many folks here with different perspectives on how to accomplish something and they're all willing to share their ideas.