what is an I/O error?

i keep getting an I/O error, when i open saved characters from daz studio

the characters are Genesis and Genesis 2

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited May 2022

What is the full error message? Is it in the log file?

Sorry, I didn't notice this was the Carrara forum.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited May 2022

in Carrara?

often a CMS error, may need to go to start menu programs, DAZ 3D DAZ Install Manager (64-bit) and click start content manager

it also depends what is in the scene and if it's Carrara compatible

newer features can throw errors like a geoshell

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155

if i create a genesis 1 or genesis 2 character, with sliders, and save the character...then try and open it in Carrara, i box pops up 

Screenshot 2022-05-10 223159.jpg
    422 x 151 - 7K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

have you tried just loading Genesis in Carrara and then make the character in Carrara?

saving it as a character preset (make sure UV is checked if it uses something other than the base) and then applying it to a fresh one in Carrara also solves a lot of issues.

Stezza

yes, it's a pain, it takes so long to load, and then it wont let me save the character

more info, i noticed it mainly started after the new daz studio update

edited May 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

saving it as a character preset (make sure UV is checked if it uses something other than the base) and then applying it to a fresh one in Carrara also solves a lot of issues.

i am trying that now, i just reinstalled the genesis starter essentials

Post edited by invisigoth on
    edited May 2022

invisigoth said:

Stezza

yes, it's a pain, it takes so long to load, and then it wont let me save the character

depending on your PC and how many addon morphs ect you have it can take over a minute to load Genesis in Carrara..

after that and sliding all the dials to create your character you can either save it or just drag and drop the character into your objects folder.. By dropping it into your objects folder it will take a while to save where as just saving the scene is a lot quicker. wink 

note: save just the Genesis character with no other scene files because if you go over the 4GB file size you may ( will ) have problems reopening the file.

Post edited by Stezza on
    Wendyluvscatz, I tried that and still no go I Uninstaller daz studio 4.20 And went back to 4.16 Reinstalled the genesis starter Deleted the saved character, remade it, and saved it as a scene and a subset And the error comes back
    edited May 2022

are you just saving the character or the character with all the addon clothing ect..?

a screen capture of what you are attempting may help out in solving the issue. wink

Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza..i have tried with clothes and hair, without clothes and hair, even tries exporting to poser format

is there a way to speed up Carrara? so i can just create the character in that and skip daz studio?

i have way more than the reccomended requirements to run it, but the scene i was working on at 7 pm yesterday, i am still working on now..and it's just a character in the scene it took so long to add clothing, that i just went to sleep..it takes long to select any thing in a genesis 1 character, like if i select "actor", and want to move up to the next level, it takes a good 10 minutes

if it helps i have 8.5 pro

can you perhaps share the duf file so we can see what's happening and pick it apart?

it's OK to share duf scenes under the EULA as they only point to content and anything not found will get messages and cubes in DAZ studio

Just wondering if you are loading genesis from the correct folder in Carrara.

ie. the Content Folder?

you should be loading Genesis from

Content Tab/My Daz 3D Library/People/Genesis/Characters/Basic Male or Basic female

loading from other locations will cause problems especially from a Poser Runtime

edited May 2022

Stezza, yes i have the default daz studio content folder

ok, off topic...but what does this mean?..i have never seen this before, i reinstalled Carrara, now i get this

Screenshot 2022-05-12 190433.jpg
    428 x 141 - 13K
    Post edited by invisigoth on

after installing Carrara you need to reinstall the extras which come with it.. they will be in your account 

ok, sorry people, it's been a while, i am getting back into Carrara, as a break from my music