'Tis for the GLORY #11 - Incongruity

MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So, de3an handily won #10 and pwnd us all.

Without any hesitation, he said:

-------
How about this for the next challenge?

"Incongruity"

(or, One of these things is not like the others.)

Create a scene where something is obviously out of place or doesn't belong in the depicted environment.
-------

Now, because everybody needs a little inspiration, I've posted a very, very special creative jump-start, Youtube video over in the Renderosity > Carrara forum to help you.

Why? Because I like helping people.

Post your entries in the same, very helpful thread over at Renderosity. As always, the challenge ends 12 midnight, Hawaii time on Saturday.

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

A couple of examples.

Building-waterfall-1.jpg
    1024 x 764 - 265K
    oddball.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 91K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Or these two old favorites of mine:

ghost_planet_landing.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Juxtaposition_green_plane.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 958K
    edited December 1969

Or these two old favorites of mine:

A mountain full of Upsidaisium?

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

Beautiful work.

EP's last one reminds me of this that I just watched: https://vimeo.com/129051743

edited December 1969

@de3an Kudos for matching the lighting of the moon to the scene lighting. It's overlooked sooooooo often.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

@de3an Kudos for matching the lighting of the moon to the scene lighting. It's overlooked sooooooo often.

Agreed. When I want a planet in the background or backdrop, I always. always, always keep my same primary light set-up for both elements.

de3an's image is absolutely beautiful.

edited December 1969

Agreed. When I want a planet in the background or backdrop, I always. always, always keep my same primary light set-up for both elements.

de3an's image is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks guys.
    I have to admit that the image is mostly composited, with the Dystopian City Blocks being the only Carrara element. The waterfall, moon, sky, and birds are scrounged images. I did, however, attemp to unify the lighting. I rotated the moon image so that the lit side was mostly correct.

I was hoping to generate a little more interest in the challenge, since it's a little slow this week.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Love the 'Oddball' render De3an, actually made me chuckle. :)

edited December 1969

Still a little time left in this challenge if you are looking for an excuse to not do what you are supposed to do today!

Incongruity-Build.jpg
    1280 x 768 - 271K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

"Sweet ride, bro."

SweetRideBro1Gimped.png
    1400 x 788 - 2M
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Hello everybody!
    Here my idea for the contest "Incongruity"
    "Subbuteo: the game"

the_game.jpg
    1000 x 713 - 1M
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Hello everybody!
    Here my idea for the contest "Incongruity"
    "Subbuteo: the game"

I had to Google "Subbuteo", but now I get it. :)
    Nice. It fits the theme perfectly.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    "Sweet ride, bro."

Neat! You should post it in the official entry thread at the Renderosity > Carrara forum.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Still a little time left in this challenge if you are looking for an excuse to not do what you are supposed to do today!

Here's something I was working on recently - trying to get fractal obj files to sit on a Carrara Ocean primitive and make splashes.

Some work better than others, but it's a stupid high polygon way to get the effect...

Anyway - I'm sure you'll all agree that the moon is way out of place in this picture. It doesn't look like the cow is going to quite jump over it on it's current trajectory. And since cows migrate by jumping over the the moon instinctively and infallibly, it must be the moon in the wrong place!

Doc12.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited December 1969

@Sockratease, Fun image. I know you've been out of the loop lately. The challenge is being held over at Renderosity in the Carrara forum. I don't think you knew that but that's where the 'entered' images need to be displayed – although many of them are also posted here.

While the challenge deadline (Saturday, 12 midnight Hawaii time) has passed, if you post over there, I can still acknowledge your entry with a a snarky award – because everybody wins in this challenge arena! You just won't be eligible for the super desirable grand fake points award in this round.

I like the cow and moon image. I did one very similar a few challenges back) Maybe we are twin brothers of a different mother?

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

@Sockratease, Fun image. I know you've been out of the loop lately. The challenge is being held over at Renderosity in the Carrara forum. I don't think you knew that but that's where the 'entered' images need to be displayed – although many of them are also posted here.

While the challenge deadline (Saturday, 12 midnight Hawaii time) has passed, if you post over there, I can still acknowledge your entry with a a snarky award – because everybody wins in this challenge arena! You just won't be eligible for the super desirable grand fake points award in this round.

I like the cow and moon image. I did one very similar a few challenges back) Maybe we are twin brothers of a different mother?

No worries.

I'm too snarky as it is without getting extra points added on to it ;-P

’Twas only for the GLORY anyhow! Glad you liked the image regardless.