Any great improvements with 4.8+ if you use AMD based video?

CoyoteSevenCoyoteSeven Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

First off, I'm a poor boy... that's why I went with DAZ instead of Poser because of one word... ... ...FREE!
So, a little over 3 years ago, I gave DAZ a try and I have not regretted it since!

Now I see the newest version 4.8+ with IRAY for Nvidia. All well and good, but I have now and always preferred AMD based systems. Seems like every Nvidia/Intel part I've ever bought has crapped out on me within 1-2 months (no, I don't overclock or supercharge, etc.).

Does 4.8+ offer any REAL advantages over 4.7 for AMD based systems? Or should I just hang onto 4.7 until AMD users are shown some love, too?

Thanks!

Comments

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

You can still use 3Delight in 4.8, simply choose it in the render settings. 3Delight was updated in 4.8 and shows some speed improvements. So yes, upgrade to 4.8. And remember that you can also do pure CPU renders in Iray, so a fat Nvidia card is nice but not absolutely necessary to use Iray. CPU rendering has the only downside that it takes longer to complete.

• CoyoteSevenCoyoteSeven Posts: 18
    edited May 2015

Appreciate that bit of info XoehZ, but I use Reality/Luxrender for my final renders and 3Delight for "drafts", therefore speed isn't one my main concerns... so it doesn't sound like any real advantage(s) so far.

Anybody else know of any possible advantages for AMD users?

Post edited by CoyoteSeven on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

I am also an AMD user, so I can say no. There are no advantages for AMD users, just general improvements in DAZ 4.8 and 3Delight that make it worth upgrading.

But since you are also a Reality/Lux user, you may have heared the news that there will be an update for Reality/ux that makes rendering in Lux much faster. And GPU rendering in Lux will be better integrated. And since that improvements are OpenCL based, they work for AMD GPUs! For details, just follow Paolo´s blog at preta3d.

• CoyoteSevenCoyoteSeven Posts: 18
    edited May 2015

SWEEEEEET!!! :lol:
    Should have known Paulo would come up with something!
    I'll check that out, thank you very much!

Post edited by CoyoteSeven on