Part of Character Blacked Out

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?  Left arm and part of head are blacked out on this character.

wtf.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 853K
wtf 2.jpg
3840 x 2160 - 2M

Comments

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I *occasionally* get some black areas in a render, or items will not appear. Sorry I can't provide details.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

What render engine are you using? Does it have something to do with your camera focal length or other settings?

• barbult said:

What render engine are you using? Does it have something to do with your camera focal length or other settings?

I'm using Iray.  After playing around with it, the spotlight is causing it somehow.  If I decrease the size of the spotlight or move it further away the black spots go away.  I'm wondering if the size of the spotlight is actually much larger than the way it is depicted in the viewport and therefore actually blocking or otherwise interacting with the characters in some way.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

I don't even see a spotlight in the screenshot of your scene layout. I see what looks like a point light. Is the spotlight outside the area of the screenshot you posted, or is it right up against or inside the character? Do you have Render Emitter set to "On" for that light? If so, try turning it off. (Select the light in the Scene pane and look in the Light section of the Parameters pane.) Please post a scene screenshot showing where all your lights are positioned.
    The scene looks way overlit and washed out. I'd suggest removing some of the lights entirely or reducing their lumen values.

• barbult said:

I don't even see a spotlight in the screenshot of your scene layout. I see what looks like a point light. Is the spotlight outside the area of the screenshot you posted, or is it right up against or inside the character? Do you have Render Emitter set to "On" for that light? If so, try turning it off. (Select the light in the Scene pane and look in the Light section of the Parameters pane.) Please post a scene screenshot showing where all your lights are positioned.
    The scene looks way overlit and washed out. I'd suggest removing some of the lights entirely or reducing their lumen values.

I'm sorry, I misspoke--it is the pointlight, not a spotlight.  It is my only light in the scene, other than the HDRI, and the render emitter is off.

This render has been difficult to light because the HDR light is pointing directly at the back of the head of the character in red.  (I can't rotate the HDR because I'm using different spots in the scene for multiple renders and this direction works best overall.)  If I don't have the pointlight in there, and turned up, then the character ends up with a face that is much too dark.  But if you think the entire render looks washed out, I could lower the ISO.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

MrRogerSmith said:

barbult said:

I'm sorry, I misspoke--it is the pointlight, not a spotlight.  It is my only light in the scene, other than the HDRI, and the render emitter is off.

This render has been difficult to light because the HDR light is pointing directly at the back of the head of the character in red.  (I can't rotate the HDR because I'm using different spots in the scene for multiple renders and this direction works best overall.)  If I don't have the pointlight in there, and turned up, then the character ends up with a face that is much too dark.  But if you think the entire render looks washed out, I could lower the ISO.

I think your point light is too close. try turning off the point light and using a plane emitter (create a primitive - plane, scale, position and add a light emitter)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,798

it looks like camera clipping to me, it's too close