Crash (Particle Emitter?)

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been trying to render some scenes that crash quite reliably. It appears to be related to the particle emitters, but I have successfully rendered with these particle emitters so I'm not really sure what is going on and I'm hoping someone can shed some light. (Yeah, I put in a help request, but the only time DAZ responds is when they acknowledge a bug and close with "won't fix" so I don't have much hope of a useful response there.)

I tried to attach an example file, but apparently neither carrara files nor zip files are allowed. So I have put it up at http://morfarpottery.com/RetroRocket.car

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Rendered whole animation in lower res with only Shadows/Reflections/Refractions to speed up and it worked in C8.5 Pro 64bit (Build 243).

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Does it crash for you if you render it as provided?

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

No, it works.
    But that is only one frame, if that is what you wanted. Took 8,29 minutes.
    It stays grey for 30 seconds before starting to render, assuming it is dynamics calculations, but it does not say it.

Maybe you need to re-install, or if you updated, check the settings again and unselect texture spooling to disk?

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

I may give re-installing a shot, but I've actually got carrara installed in two places and it affects both of them. I hadn't particularly noticed the delay on startup -- that would be it calculating the particles before frame 0. Turns out it doesn't crash for me if I turn off multi-threaded rendering which suggests some sort of threading bug. Texture spooling is still off, so that isn't it (good thought, though).

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited May 2015

I do believe that particle calculations are one of those legacy things that are still single threaded (if that is the correct term). Perhaps a conflict with that?

Edited to add that I will try the scene tomorrow and see what happens in my C8.5 version on Core2 Duo iMac running Mavericks.

Post edited by evilproducer on