Since Installing 4.8... DAZ is slower

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi:

I was running 4.7 just fine, but I backed up everything and decided to upgrade. Since upgrading to 4.8 I have noticed load time slowness of nearly twice what it used to be, and slowness loading scene files.

It wasn't this way before the upgrade. What can I do to speed things up?

Comments

• GunsmokeGunsmoke Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

I also noticed this. Along with the fact that just a 'basic' render now takes almost 10 minutes! I work on a Win7 x64, Core i7 with 8GB RAM and an NVIDIA G-Force GTX560M. v4.7 was never this slow! Any ideas ???

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I see a lot more of 'reading asset, clearing scene, deleting objects" On saved scenes. This is something I never saw in previous versions of DAZ 3d Sotware. I don't recall ever seeing the 'deleting objects' message. I also am seeing 'DAZ studio has stopped responding" a lot more.

I don't know the cause. Was hoping the forum might have some ideas.

I do have a lot of content, and I also have a highly organized file system. If it weren't for those things, reinstalling things is a breeze. But it takes me weeks to get stuff where I want it, and I regularly backup my userdata, and rebuild my content database.

One thing I know that slows things down is character morphs.

Load time for software without a character isn't bad. It is just the load time for stored saved files, the 'not responding messages,' and how laggy it becomes with only a few things in a scene.

I have 24 gig of ram and had no issue with 4.7

• yinliang9yinliang9 Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Definitely not alone. I have 12 GB of RAM and I've noticed a slowdown too. It's not unbearable, though; I have a quad core processor, which might help. My computer's starting to slow down in general, but Daz is definitely slower now than when I used 4.6 (I missed 4.7 somehow...)

• TimingisEverythingTimingisEverything Posts: 112
    edited June 2015

Yea, I experienced this with the beta. I switched back to 4.7

Finally decided to upgrade, for a short period it was loading fine. upon installing new GoZ plugin it is loading very slow again. Not sure if GoZ is the problem but thats when I noticed the slow loading.

EDIT: Update

I got it working again, loading normal.
    Im almost certain it was tied to the Goz installer, but what I did was:
    copied the GoZ plugin directly from the folder to a remote temporary location
    Deleted the Daz application folder
    reninstalld Daz 4.8 and placed the GoZ plugin inside the Daz plugin folder.

Its working now, but I'm still not sure what happened.

Post edited by TimingisEverything on
  • GunsmokeGunsmoke Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Cool! Thanks for posting! I'll give that a try when I get a chance though it seems to have sped up some already. Maybe it just needed a 'break in' period . . . :)

Why ?? That's above my pay grade!

• CapscesCapsces Posts: 465
    edited December 1969

Did you figure this out, or did you go back to 4.7? I'm having similar issues. Figures, poses etc. are slow to load. Took several minutes to save a file last night. Starting to think I may need to see if I can reacquire a copy of 4.7.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Which CMS service, if any, are you all running?

edited December 1969

I believe it is the PostgreSQL CMS. My hard drive crashed, so I just installed DAZ Studio 4.8 on the new one. I may have installed, uninstalled and installed again trying to get everything to go where I wanted it.

edited December 1969

The reason I asked, was because on my machine Valentina was slower than a snail, stuck in half frozen molasses, in Chicago, in a blizzard...on the coldest day of the year. And that slowed down just about everything...opening, saving, etc...

• mjordy59mjordy59 Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

And that's why I decided to roll back to the 4.6 version,which is the fastest and and best working on my PC. Bummer,maybe Daz can update the latest version before going to version upgrade 5.

edited December 1969

So, everyone thinks it is the CMS? Is it possible to just install a previous version of the CMS?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

So, everyone thinks it is the CMS? Is it possible to just install a previous version of the CMS?

PostgreSQL CMS hasn't changed in over a year. It's the older Valentina CMS that is slower, (unless you have ZoneAlarm, which doesn't like PostgreSQL).

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Slower here too.  Wow, noticeably.  I was trying to keep 4.7 on my machine, but when I ran the upgrade uninstaller (I thought it was uninstalling the beta 4.8) and it removed 4.7, sigh.  Any tips to speed it up?

For example, when I click on "new" scene, it takes forever to delete objects, when in 4,7 it was a quick close and ready (my new scene is nothing)

Wish I could help, but I've not had an opportunity to troubleshoot, yet. I was running DS 4.7 on Windows Vista prior to losing my hard drive, then installed Windows 7 and DS 4.8. Even went from a spinny drive to a SSD for running DS, but DS is slothlike. I'm also assuming I was using the CMS prior to PostgreSQL, as I likely upgraded to 4.7 from 4.6 and do not recall seeing PostgreSQL before this this. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a copy of 4.7 to go back to.

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361

Is there a way to roll back your version.  Rendering takes a while longer.  I heard it might be the render engine we're using now.  

For me it is opening and closing and saving...takes forever now!!!  

Be nice to have a rep chime in and say, "....this is because X, Y, and Z, which, though slower, provides you with these enhancements, feature, improvement or benefit"!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    3dOutlaw said:
    For example, when I click on "new" scene, it takes forever to delete objects, when in 4,7 it was a quick close and ready (my new scene is nothing)

I'm beginning to notice that too, but only with large complicated scenes. It was never fast in 4.6 (I skipped 4.7) but large scenes now clear as slowly as a sleepwalking sloth. Not every time, though...  frown

edited July 2015

I'm wondering if there is some sort of timer involved.

I just noticed, tonight, that loading a large, complex scene started out using all four cores of my CPU, but after a short while, it dropped to 1 core; about 15 seconds or so.  After that, it took forever to finish loading the scene.  Total load Studio is using about 1.5 GB of RAM and it loaded about 600 MB in that first fifteen seconds...then took almost 2 more minutes to finish the load.  At the pace it was loading...it should have taken about 35 seconds total...and the time it took to finish loading is almost exactly how long it would take on 1 core.  In other words it went from loading the scene at 40 MB/second to loading it at 10 MB/second.

And this isn't an OS thing...I'm on Linux, using WINE...which doesn't have all the Windows wierdness/what not that could possibly account for something like this.  And I'm not running ANY CMS at the moment...Valenitina was ubearably slow and PostGRE is throwing permission errors (like it won't start because it thinks it's in an admin account).

So, is there a 'fallback' where, in order to not 'hog' the system Studio drops cores?

If so...GET RID OF THE DAMN THING!!!!

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,111
    edited July 2015

I use a lot of objects to build buildings ... 
    and deleting is a nightmare ... you don't delete in 4.8 you save what you want as a scene subset and then close the program.
    I've got a i7 920 with 24 gigs of ram.
    ---
    I gave up trying to delete anything more that a couple objects... 
    ---
    just deleting one of the three small red buildings in this picture took 5 minutes... 

big city 03w.jpg
    1188 x 593 - 532K
    Post edited by alan bard newcomer on

Is there a way to download Daz Studio 4.7 last version?

I would like to revert, or at least use it for basics, and then can use 4,8 for rendering.  4.8 is ridiculously slow on my PC now.  (opening, closing and deleting items) and runs the CPU/GPU fan almost constantly.  Never had these issues with 4.7, so I would like to revert for a while, until I see some of these things resolved.

OK, so I just read you can't install two general releases...so is there any way to get the 4.7.0.11 Beta?  Feel free to shoot me a PM!  :)

Apparently I have saved every version up to 4.6, but for some reason I did not save the 4.7 installer  :(

• If you didn't back up a copy when it was available then I'm afraid not. Please report your 4.8 issue (by opening a Technical Support ticket http://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us )

OK, so I found a copy of the 4.7 GR, and used Mattymanx's "unsupported" method to install both on the same computer.  

Before doing it, I removed (by moving it to another location, in case I needed it) the CMS directory (not the prostgresql one), as well, so it would get installed fresh. 

Since I did that, now 4.8 seems to run faster than 4.7, per my clock tests on the same scenes  :)  Woohoo!

Doing a File-New still takes longer to delete in 4.8 than 4.7, but that is at least faster now as well...