Glasses bundle glasses are always shades

This package: https://www.daz3d.com/glasses-bundle-for-genesis-8-and-81

The "Lens - Clear" options all still cast notable shadows on the actor's faces. When I apply Iray Uber "Glass - Thin - Clear" it's good but the lens effect is gone of course. 

Product issue or just my outdoors setup?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192

My glasses cast shadows too - glass does not transmit 100% of the visible light.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

Have you tried any other glass shaders, "Glass - Thin - Clear" doesn't sound like one suitable for glasses.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,979
    edited May 2022

Could I humbly suggest trying the 'flint bottle glass' uber settings in this freebie set: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/569516/octagonal-glasses

The glass has a IOR of 1.51 but is otherwise clear. It will show at angles other than straight on. It's nothing special, just settings I played with that look right for clear glass. If you get too much reflection, drop the IOR a bit. Anything below 1.1 doesn't show up much at all.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 261

Richard Haseltine said:

My glasses cast shadows too - glass does not transmit 100% of the visible light.

See attachment. Of course the glass isn't all clear, but that's a lot of shadows. 

eyeglasses4_glasses_lens_clear.png
    955 x 668 - 2M
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192

As PerttiA says using one of the thin glass shaders, assuming the glasses have solid lens, will not give the correct result - it is effectively adding two layers as the thin versions are designed for cases where the glass is a single layer of polygons.

I'm still at the question "this is casting more of a shadow than I'd think it should". What surface params can I tweak here? (And I still think it should behave different to begin with, look at the promos)

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,238
    edited May 2022

I do think we must see your glasses lens settings.  I tried a very quick render using some glasses with the default iray thin glass shader, an hdri, a little eye twinkle and got:

Glasses.jpg
    1540 x 1261 - 866K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

With the default Iray Thin Glass shader, yes. See above.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,238

May we have a screenshot of the glasses Surface tab settings

Ok, here are the prop's "Lens" Surface settings.

Surfaces_Lens_Eyeglasses_1.png
    723 x 1045 - 105K
    Surfaces_Lens_Eyeglasses_2.png
    454 x 1041 - 88K
    Surfaces_Lens_Eyeglasses_3.png
    452 x 861 - 51K