Question: Sub-Surface-Scattering Plugin?

ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Help,

I cannot recall the name of the plugin that allow the use of texture maps to drive the Sub-Surface-Scattering shader in Carrara?
Anyone know?

I would like to give it a spin to see how well it works with skin shaders.

Regards

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited May 2015

It was one of the Shader Ops (can't remember whether 1 or 2) by Digital Carver's Guild. I remember DimensionTheory mentioning it, but I could be wrong (I don't have those plugins).

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    It was one of the Shader Ops (can't remember whether 1 or 2) by Digital Carver's Guild. I remember DimensionTheory mentioning it, but I could be wrong (I don't have those plugins).

I went and look inthe Shader Ops 1 and 2 product pages and I didn't see any information on it. maybe it is part of another plugin.

• Eric WinemillerEric Winemiller Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Light Mangler (part of Shader Ops 2) will let you remix the sub surface scattering. Basically you let Carrara calculate it as normal, and then you can apply various operators to the calculated value (e.g. multiply by a texture map). In the tutorial linked below, I simply apply a color gradient to the SSS output.

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/tutorial.php?TutorialId=34

Regards,

edited December 1969

Light Mangler (part of Shader Ops 2) will let you remix the sub surface scattering. Basically you let Carrara calculate it as normal, and then you can apply various operators to the calculated value (e.g. multiply by a texture map). In the tutorial linked below, I simply apply a color gradient to the SSS output.

Regards,

Thank you Eric!!

Regards

edited December 1969

I am going to use your shader plugin for an upcoming shader collection package and in future Skin shaders.

Thanks

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Regards,

Any chance of selling the DCG Carrara plugins in the DAZ3D store?
    Assuming a DAZ3D price of 200% of the DCG store price, the income is the same while the market is bigger?

• Eric WinemillerEric Winemiller Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

Any chance of selling the DCG Carrara plugins in the DAZ3D store?
    Assuming a DAZ3D price of 200% of the DCG store price, the income is the same while the market is bigger?

I don't have any plans to sell in the DAZ store.

Regards,

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Ringo, not to wanting to bypass DCG, but have you tried using a mix of materials, with no SSS in one and SSS in the other, and then using a map as the mix between the two. Not really tried it myself but I can't see why it would not work.