Recommendations for a GOOD Daz to UE5 tutorial?

I was wondering if anyone might know of a good Daz to UE5 tutorial, especially one that will talk through how to fix possible problems that might come up when attempting to retarget? So far the ones I've run into aren't always consistent in their steps. And none of them talk about possible issues that might crop up while retargetting (which is my current obstacle at the moment). I don't want to jump around to a bunch of different videos or posts trying to piece together a workflow. I'm just looking for something that is pretty much everything in one stop so I can actually try to start creating things in UE.

Comments

• This guy's channel contains basically everything there is to know about retargeting Daz characters. He goes over IK rigs, IK retargeter, root bones, root motion, bone chains, retargeting to the old UE Mannequin, new Mannequin, Mixamo.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Jobutsu/videos

This video should have everything you need to get going. It's not short, but you can skip certain steps if you have done them already (ex, you have already used the bridge to bring in your character).

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774

Are there any good DS to UE5 step-by-step WRITTEN tutorials?  I know of a good one for UE4, but UE5 has changed enough so that it no longer applies.  I do not have the patience to watch a long-winded video.

• nakamuram002 said:

Are there any good DS to UE5 step-by-step WRITTEN tutorials?  I know of a good one for UE4, but UE5 has changed enough so that it no longer applies.  I do not have the patience to watch a long-winded video.

Sorry, I don't know of any. I wasn't an avid user of UE4, only starting developing in UE5 recently, but I do remember the retargeting process, and I think the concensus is that the new process is more involved but provides certain advantages over the old system.

What I can tell you though is that the Daz to UE5 bridge already comes with an IK Rig for Genesis 8-8.1 characters, so in theory all you'd really need is to create an IK retargeter using the skeleton with the animations you want to retarget to (ex. Quinn Mannequin skeleton). Then you can do your retargeting and be on your way.

But it really depends on what kind of quality you're looking for. In my process, retargeting is only the first step. Then I edit the character pose to more similarly match the mesh I am retargeting to, and then I will often go in manually and make keyframe adjustments in the curve editor for a smoother result.

I know you don't have the patience to watch it, but I strongly recommend you do, as the new retargeting process is a little more involved than a few clicks here and there and bingo. If you already have your Daz character in UE, that shaves off about 20 minutes.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869
    edited July 2022

This is the tutorial about Unreal Engine 5, something I have waited for:

Post edited by Artini on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869
    edited July 2022

I have created with Unity 2021.3.4f1 a video including virtual biking and walking crowd of NPCs

wandering around the city. Crowd characters are made out of Daz 3D Genesis 8 (mostly).

Any idea about achieving similar functionality with UE5?

Post edited by Artini on