How To Control Motion Blur?

SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
edited June 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I was trying to experiment with motion blur for an image as part of the art for a website commission.

The effect I want is to have an item being lobbed in an arc, and have the frame show it near the end of the arc, but have the motion blur cover the entire arc up to the point where the subject currently is shown (or most of it).

I tested with a 24 frame, 1 second animation and set the blur to 24 frames and 100% - but the length of the blur trail is still quite small. How can I get the blur to cover more of the actual path the object follows?

I looked into post work, but all my motion blur filters seem to be linear (left or right) or radial (in or out) but none seem to work for an arc.

I suppose I could render with alpha, post work a linear motion blur, and try to warp it - but now I am just curious about how best to get Carrara'a feature to work as I imagined it would work.

Anybody have any ideas?

Post edited by Sockratease on

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited December 1969

I was trying to experiment with motion blur for an image as part of the art for a website commission.

The effect I want is to have an item being lobbed in an arc, and have the frame show it near the end of the arc, but have the motion blur cover the entire arc up to the point where the subject currently is shown (or most of it).

I tested with a 24 frame, 1 second animation and set the blur to 24 frames and 100% - but the length of the blur trail is still quite small. How can I get the blur to cover more of the actual path the object follows?

Hi Sockratease, I think to see that kind of exaggerated motion blur the object needs to be traveling REALLY fast. I made a quick test with a sphere moving in a 180 degree arc over 24 frames, and yeah, rendering the last frame yields barely a hint of motion blur. So I made it a 2 frame animation and rendered frame 2. The results are below. The first one is with 'Backward Only' with 96 extra frames, and the second one is 'Backward and Forward Blur', also 96 extra frames. Both at 100% blur.

Don't know if that helps. I don't have a lot of experience faking motion blur in post, but I think you are on the right track with creating a 'warp' of a gradient or a feathered mask or something.

backward_forward_96.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    backward_96.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply and the effort!

I'll give the post work version a try and post results if anybody wants to see them.

I didn't think the effect filter in Carrara would not allow for exaggeration. Me and my disdain for realism...